Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I guess I am the weirdo. Used to use Google Music when it was bundled with YouTube red and then dropped red and when I signed back up and it no longer included google music for free I switched to apple music and never looked back. Tried Tidal for a bit but couldn't justify their price for hi res. Used Pandora originally until mobile speeds got faster and no longer needed heavily compressed music. Have tried Spotify once or twice and hated it

dg1974

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2023
Italy
I'll always prefer Apple Music over Spotify, since the latter is still missing a feature, to me, fundamental: the ability to (easily) play a discography by year.
At the end of 2019 I was testing both streaming services and when I found that I couldn't play an artist discography by albums release date, I thought I made some error, so I searched and found many users with the same issue. The official statement from Spotify, since 2014, is basically "never": https://community.spotify.com/t5/Li...sort-albums-by-release-date-year/idi-p/744893
So, to me, Apple Music for ever, even with its (many) faults.

xSushi

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2022
The free tier of Spotify helps greatly with that generation.
Especially if you have to cancel for a short time, for whatever reason.

Many people complain about losing playlists and libraries when they cancel AM for a short time (there are backup options, but that burned bridge is hard to come back from).

Apple Music subscribers seem to have trouble with basic functions and navigation. Ive noticed so many friends and co-workers, and my husband not knowing how to loop things, or navigate back to the album you're listening, etc.

Apple Music has some really good content (shows, curated playlists, exclusive live albums, etc) that are buried in strange places and difficult to navigate to. One should be able to pin a show and follow it, or create folders in playlists, etc... The platform has decent features that only the super savvy know about (people on these sort of sites or reddit).

I can't tell you how many people are shocked to find out AM has a web based browser to listen to music when I'm working in the office. Most people in an office aren't trying to sync their personal content to their work station after-all. If more people knew about that, they might be more enticed to switch.

Replay got better, but it needs to be more of a sensation to make people have FOMO AND sharable in a meaningful way on social media.

Their real struggle with this platform, which I genuinely love, is UI and Marketing.

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
" causes "social stigma, exclusion, and blame [in teens]". Uhh, isn't that all of social media? Why don't we have the US DoJ doing something about that?
It also shouldn’t be Apple’s fault. Why are they being punished by created a wildly successful and innovative and connected ecosystem? Makes no sense. It’s up to someone to choose an iPhone or an android. Apple isn’t forcing anyone 😂

Mr Fide

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I was just about to cancel TV+ when they started Sugar. I am loving that. Would have binged it, but they're doing it weekly or something like that.

I am surprised teenagers aren't going for the YouTube Premium / YouTube Music combo. Better value for money than a standalone music service. Yes, it doesn't sound quite as good, and the YouTube Music ios app is deliberately clunky in that why-aren't-you-on-Android way, but its algorithm is a lot more fun that either Spotify or Apple Music, in my experience.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
I am surprised teenagers aren't going for the YouTube Premium / YouTube Music combo. Better value for money than a standalone music service. Yes, it doesn't sound quite as good, and the YouTube Music ios app is deliberately clunky in that why-aren't-you-on-Android way, but its algorithm is a lot more fun that either Spotify or Apple Music, in my experience.
I'm on the opposite spectrum of being a teen but I don't know if its promotion or what but I legit forget Youtube Music is a thing. It comes with my premium subscription but I couldn't be bothered learning another interface. For Android phones it could be integrated better. For example when I set an alarm on my Samsung S24u I have the choice of using a Spotify song or ringtone, Youtube Music isn't mentioned.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
I won't even use any of the free trials Apple keep ramming down my throat through their operating systems (which is so cheap and not the Apple I grew up with). Their services just aren't that great.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Why I don't like Apple TV app - Years ago I used the movie player on the phone to watch stuff I downloaded from YouTube. Had no problem. Fast forward to last year when I was going on a trip. I found out I had to download and transfer them to Apple TV. The files I transferred were episodes of a television show in this name format....

1 - Love Is All Around
2 - Today I Am a Ma'am
3 - Bess, You Is My Daughter Now, etc., etc..

Less than two hours later a forum I go to suggestively advertised Amazon selling Mary Tyler Moore DVDs.

Seriously??? Their algorithm could identify the show based on the episode titles??? And then transfer that information to Amazon and...in less than two hours?!?!!?
Are you complaining about YouTube sending viewing information to Amazon?

Alexndar

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
No app matches Spotify. It's simply the best. And I say that as someone who doesn't have any subscriptions to anything else.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
I guess I am the weirdo. Used to use Google Music when it was bundled with YouTube red and then dropped red and when I signed back up and it no longer included google music for free I switched to apple music and never looked back. Tried Tidal for a bit but couldn't justify their price for hi res. Used Pandora originally until mobile speeds got faster and no longer needed heavily compressed music. Have tried Spotify once or twice and hated it
huh that's interesting.

Over here youtube premium (previously youtube red) still comes bundled with youtube music.

Do you live in an area where google had been forced to unbundle the music component from youtube premium?

magusxxx

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Are you complaining about YouTube sending viewing information to Amazon?
It wasn't YouTube. That's where I downloaded the videos. Only after I uploaded them to my phone via iTunes to the Apple TV app did this happen.

I'm complaining that Apple sent this info to Amazon. And that they figured out what show it was not based on the show's actual name.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
My kids all have iPhones, and they all gravitated towards Spotify for music, and in the end, I subscribed to Spotify under a family plan. No interest in Apple Music at all.

I have a free trial of Apple TV+ - not one of them has ever used it, but they all have Disney and Netflix on their phones/iPads.

Basically we're walking proof of the survey .. 😁

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Apple Music is for people that value sound quality, content, and actually having a library. Spotify is basically for people that only listen to playlists, because their library management system is terrible.
Or who like the playlist model that regularly exposes them to previously unheard music rather than being in a rut of listening to the same over and over again...

jomartz

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2022
One thing I've noticed is that most teenagers don't prioritize audio quality as much as older individuals. For them, as long as it sounds okay, it's sufficient.

Reactions: SalisburySam

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I've tried Spotify a few times and the one hurdle for me is how they treat local files leaves a lot to be desired. I could never get it right, while if I just put local files into my Itunes Library, it easily integrates with the rest of Apple Music. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get around this problem, I'd be interested to learn.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
sorry to burst your bubble but indeed Youtube Music is also a favorite of Gen Z, not AM

Source:

The funny thing about math is that 50% growth is far easier the smaller you start. I was surprised in reading that link to find that YouTube Music was by far the smallest of the five providers listed, with only 8% of the market even after that 50% growth

"Of the 523.9 million (up 26.4% YoY) music subscribers at the end of Q2 2021, 8% use YouTube Music. The highest share unsurprisingly belongs to Spotify at 31% – though that number has been steadily decreasing from 34% in Q2 2019. Apple Music follows at 15%, and Amazon and Tencent are at 13%."​

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It wasn't YouTube. That's where I downloaded the videos. Only after I uploaded them to my phone via iTunes to the Apple TV app did this happen.

I'm complaining that Apple sent this info to Amazon. And that they figured out what show it was not based on the show's actual name.
That seems very unlikely. It's not Apple's business model and likely would violate their privacy policies. Amazon has insinuated it's self into a lot of place and it's very easy to do something on the web that gets picked up by Amazon and turned into a recommendation.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I find the audio quality of Apple Music is better than Spotify.

But as I don't listen to streaming music enough, I don't subscribe to either. So when I do, it's Spotify as it's free.

If Apple Music had a free ad-supported plan, I'd certainly pick it over Spotify.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
I own 3 AppleTV's. I don't find them hard to use at all.

You can purchase any keyboard you like. If you're price conscious, you know there are other options.
I owned 2 Apple TV's, they are slow, the remote sucks, OS lags, and no where near as good as a FireStick.
I know I can purchase any keyboard I like, just as I said I did.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I owned 2 Apple TV's, they are slow, the remote sucks, OS lags, and no where near as good as a FireStick.
I know I can purchase any keyboard I like, just as I said I did.
Sorry but, I fully disagree. My first ATV was a 1080p version. Then the first 4k and a second gen 4k. All work perfectly for me. I use a universal remote (old logitech), and rarely use the Apple one. Only if it's right there. Tends to work quicker than my universal though. Plus my iPhone can be used too if needed. Glad you're happy with your FireTV.
It is what it is.

Reactions: Tagbert

magusxxx

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
\
That seems very unlikely. It's not Apple's business model and likely would violate their privacy policies. Amazon has insinuated it's self into a lot of place and it's very easy to do something on the web that gets picked up by Amazon and turned into a recommendation.
It can't be YouTube because those episodes were downloaded several months before I put them on Apple TV. If it was, then there was a long delay before they suggested I buy the DVDs.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think teenagers in generally aren't paying for anything.

I am using YouTube premium and YouTube music as a replacement for Apple Music (now that I have discontinued my Apple One sub) and Music possibly has the worst interface amongst the 3. That and I miss the shortcuts integration and the availability of third party apps. I guess it suffices for my needs, but I am really sticking with it for now because it's cheaper, not because it's better.

Reactions: Tagbert

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I think teenagers in generally aren't paying for anything.

I am using YouTube premium and YouTube music as a replacement for Apple Music (now that I have discontinued my Apple One sub) and Music possibly has the worst interface amongst the 3. That and I miss the shortcuts integration and the availability of third party apps. I guess it suffices for my needs, but I am really sticking with it for now because it's cheaper, not because it's better.
People often start Spotify because it’s free and keep it because of the social media features and because most people don’t like change. Apple doesn’t want the freemium market, so they lose free and eventually some paying users to Spotify because of this reason. They decided at the outset they can live with not owning this market… probably a good decision with all the lawsuits.

We still pay for Apple One, but I can see how the pricing can run people off. We haven’t reached that point, yet, but could see us considering it with another price hike.

Do you use homepods with YouTube music? If so, how is that integration in comparison to Apple Music?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Do you use homepods with YouTube music? If so, how is that integration in comparison to Apple Music?

I do have HomePods mini, but I typically use it more to airplay my podcasts, rather than for native music playback (I could never remember which mood playlist to access at any one time, so I end up searching for it on my phone instead).

https://www.macstories.net/stories/...apple-musics-new-mood-and-activity-playlists/

It’s one of those products I ended up not using as much as I thought I would.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I do have HomePods mini, but I typically use it more to airplay my podcasts, rather than for native music playback (I could never remember which mood playlist to access at any one time, so I end up searching for it on my phone instead).

https://www.macstories.net/stories/...apple-musics-new-mood-and-activity-playlists/

It’s one of those products I ended up not using as much as I thought I would.
Interesting, we use ours daily, but we listen to a lot of music (mainly artists or albums via Siri). I have never been much of a user of playlists, which I know is outside the mainstream.

I think YouTube is one of the few that will use Siri on the HomePod, but I haven’t tried it. We already pay for Youtube, so it might be an option down the road if Apple continues the price hikes on Apple One.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.