Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all, just a quick question that I haven't found an answer for yet. Telegram has downloads for two apps both on the Mac App store, and their Website: Telegram, and Telegram Lite. I understand and know the differences between those two. What I'm unclear on is: Is there advantage of downloading Telegram through their website, or getting it through the Mac App store. Some apps are the same exact app, and it's simply distributed through different channels. Others have more, or different features when not obtained through the Mac App store, and this is what I was curious about. Currently I have the two telegram apps installed through the Mac App store. However, would I gain anything different from installing them directly from the telegram website. I've checked their FAQ, and they don't mention anything other than what I've already understood about Telegram vs Telegram Lite.

If anyone can shed some light thanks.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Is there advantage of downloading Telegram through their website, or getting it through the Mac App store
From a security perspective, using an App Store version provides an additional layer of defense against malicious code embedded in the software. Apple, of course, is not perfect nor incessantly vigilant but multiple layers of protection against attacks is almost always better. At a minimum, it can be easier staying current with updates when macOS takes care of notifications and downloads at a system level rather than relying on individual applications to self-update.

Now, if you are interested in minimizing your personal security and privacy risk levels, Telegram may not be the best choice for chat/IMs/SMS replacement. I won't go into detail in this particular post but there are widely held–easily found using your preferred search engine–concerns about Telegram's encryption, data handling, and developers.

----------
For anybody interested in a deeper dive into this stuff, here are three resources for starters:

Last edited:

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
From a security perspective, using an App Store version provides an additional layer of defense against malicious code embedded in the software. Apple, of course, is not perfect nor incessantly vigilant but multiple layers of protection against attacks is almost always better. At a minimum, it can be easier staying current with updates when macOS takes care of notifications and downloads at a system level rather than relying on individual applications to self-update.

Now, if you are interested in minimizing your personal security and privacy risk levels, Telegram may not be the best choice for chat/IMs/SMS replacement. I won't go into detail in this particular post but there are widely held–easily found using your preferred search engine–concerns about Telegram's encryption, data handling, and developers.

----------
For anybody interested in a deeper dive into this stuff, here are three resources for starters:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep this in mind. I went ahead and deleted the App store version and installed from their site. The biggest difference I noticed is the App has a built in updater, so will see if I get updates faster than what came through the app store version. Beyond that, it looks identical. I did this while waiting for replies to the question, to see if I noticed anything for myself.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
The website Even offers a Beta versión that is updated very often.

Those comments about Telegram being dangerous are wierd. Should we use WhatsApp instead? And Right now Telegram is the best way to be up to date about stuff going on in the Ucraine

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
The website Even offers a Beta versión that is updated very often.

Those comments about Telegram being dangerous are wierd. Should we use WhatsApp instead? And Right now Telegram is the best way to be up to date about stuff going on in the Ucraine
I've never heard anything about security issues with Telegram. In fact people have always have said for a secure platform, and end to end encryption that telegram was one of the best.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Should we use WhatsApp instead?
If privacy is important, any product connected to Meta/Facebook is not a good choice.

For SMS/IM/chat, an alternative to Apple Messages, Telegram, and WhatsApp is Signal. Obviously, anybody who needs to prioritize security and/or privacy should do their own research but many non-profits and NGOs recommend Signal.

----------
For anybody interested, this is the Electronic Frontier Foundation's guide to using Signal on iOS:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.