Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therealMasa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Hello MacRumors,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm on the horns of a dilemma here. I really want to buy the latest iPhone in white but I can't decide if I like it or not. I've watched countless unboxings/reviews of the White, and sometimes it looks off-white, while in a different light it appears beige or champagne coloured.

I know the Silver 12 Pro has a whiter hue than the regular 12, but the Apple logo is barely visible, and I prefer the 12's matte aluminum sides to the stainless steel on the Pro/Max.

Just looking for some feedback from 12 White owners. Would you consider it "white?" Does it look effeminate?
Thanks!

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
I first got the 12 PM in white, gave it to my wife, and then bought the regular 12 in white.
I would describe the colour as white, but with a warm hue to it. I don’t know why, but it looks like the aluminium sides also have a faint warm hue to it. It is mostly in some lightning though.

Reactions: therealMasa

therealMasa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Are you unable to go see the device in a store? Pictures are worth a thousand words, but nothing trumps an in-person experience.
Don't think so. All the Apple Stores are closed here due to lockdown.

It's funny to obsess over the back of a phone when 90% of the time you'll never see it. ?

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA

It's funny to obsess over the back of a phone when 90% of the time you'll never see it. 😂
We all have our “thing”. Lol I assume you do not live stateside? All of the US Apple Stores reopened a couple weeks back.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Just looking for some feedback from 12 White owners. Would you consider it "white?" Does it look effeminate?
Thanks
My sister has the 12 in white, it's definitely a off white colour like you said, hard to describe, in some lighting conditions it looks a bit pink, it's definitely not a pure white colour like you're hoping for.

Safest option is to buy from apple, if you end up not liking the colour, you can always return within 14 days.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I just received my white 12 Mini a few days ago. I like it! Replaced a "silver" iPhone 8.

As you probably know, the "silver" iPhone 8 is basically white but with a slight gray tinge to it. The white 12 Mini is basically white but with a slight beige or tan tinge to it.

I really like the look with the brushed aluminum edges and the narrow black bezel. Have it in a totally clear case so that all of this shows up.

So I'm very happy. And I am male.

therealMasa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
What the hey, I'm gonna take the gamble.

I've been watching more videos, and it's starting to grow on me. In a way, I'm liking that it isn't the standard white. Gives it a bit of character. I've heard it's meant to be a throwback to the "white" iPhone 4?

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
OP could go to a retailer that has them on display like Costco or Best Buy and see for him/her self.

You can't just waltz right into an Apple store.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio

It's funny to obsess over the back of a phone when 90% of the time you'll never see it. ?
I ordered my new iPhone 12 online with Apple and was given an email that I took to the Apple store. What struck my husband and I was all the security guards standing outside the store. They took our temperature and made us read a poster and told them we weren't sick. Then they read the email to let us in. I might have wanted to consider the red but was handed the blue I ordered and that was it and we left.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
It looks pseudo pink especially when next to the 12 pro silver, which ironically has a much whiter back. I'm usually a white/silver guy but I didn't like the white on the 12 this year, went for black instead.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
What the hey, I'm gonna take the gamble.

I've been watching more videos, and it's starting to grow on me. In a way, I'm liking that it isn't the standard white. Gives it a bit of character. I've heard it's meant to be a throwback to the "white" iPhone 4?

I think the white 4 was closer to the white of the XR - almost paper white. Memory could be a little fuzzy, though.
Enjoy!

therealMasa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Yeah no, it wasn't for me. I decided to return it. It looks like a subtle gold colour. It's only in direct light that you could even come close to calling it white. Don't get me wrong, it's a classy-looking phone that many will love but not for me. I'll keep hold of my white XR for now.

Hopefully, Apple will go back to safer white colours for the iPhone "13".

I'd love to see an iPhone with the frosted white back, brushed aluminum sides and glossy Apple logo. I think the only thing that spoils the Gold/Silver Pro models is those smudgy sides and muted logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.