Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
My last video for comparison.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/177424/

I took some advice and this one is different.

http://happytiger.net/kevin/videos/biketricks.mov

it's h.264 but I think it looks over compressed... any one have any recommendations for fast moving video compression?

here is another one for your review... my brother wanted me to shoot a jazz performance of his. it took me almost a year to figure out what to do with the footage.. what do you think?

http://happytiger.net/kevin/videos/dj_jazzy_joe.mov

kevin

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Just curious... are you using aiff for the song? I thought I heard a little cutting in the beginning and that usually happens when you use the mp3 (this is for the 2nd one)

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
mikemodena said:
Just curious... are you using aiff for the song? I thought I heard a little cutting in the beginning and that usually happens when you use the mp3 (this is for the 2nd one)

i used an mp3 for the biketricks video... but the video of my bro is all original audio from my at897 on my gl2.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Love the bike video, Alot more sound syncing than the 99problems video.
The ending for your site could use some work though ;). Overall great video and it worked great. As far as compression try mp4, but the bike vids were to crazy i wasnt paying that much attention to it. :rolleyes: .
Overall really great and great improvement on the sound sync.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
The MTB video, works well with the sound synching. It looked like the footage was filmed at a number of different locations. One thing I like about some MTB videos, is knowing where they were filmed, as you never know when you may get a chance to ride the area yourself. Perhaps overlay some text indicating locations during the start of each 'chapter' or perhaps a static title page (so it's easier to read) at the end for reference sake?

I'm planning to film some of the local sports events this year.

How old is that MTB footage? Some of the armour looked fairly old school :)

(waiting patiently for snow to melt so I can hit the trails)

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Danksi said:
The MTB video, works well with the sound synching. It looked like the footage was filmed at a number of different locations. One thing I like about some MTB videos, is knowing where they were filmed, as you never know when you may get a chance to ride the area yourself. Perhaps overlay some text indicating locations during the start of each 'chapter' or perhaps a static title page (so it's easier to read) at the end for reference sake?

I'm planning to film some of the local sports events this year.

How old is that MTB footage? Some of the armour looked fairly old school :)

(waiting patiently for snow to melt so I can hit the trails)

That's not a bad idea to put the name of the event on it... For the record, it was recorded 7-13-03 in searchmont, canada... only took 3 years to edit. ^^* The last bit of footage was from jackson michigan, again 2003.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
hal0n said:
That's not a bad idea to put the name of the event on it... For the record, it was recorded 7-13-03 in searchmont, canada... only took 3 years to edit. ^^* The last bit of footage was from jackson michigan, again 2003.

Thought it looked fairly old school! :)

I've been messing with some of my own MTB footage, creating some shorts for Podcasting and then some longer versions for direct download - still working on some, but I'll post again for some feedback.

For now the podcast's at:- http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=122218731&s=143455 Text is tricky to do, when compressed to a smaller screen.

The trailsite is:- http://www.rootsrocksflow.com

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Danksi said:
I've been messing with some of my own MTB footage, creating some shorts for Podcasting and then some longer versions for direct download - still working on some, but I'll post again for some feedback.

Nice videos. i'm not a fan of the resolution, but it's the video that matters anyway..

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
hal0n said:
Nice videos. i'm not a fan of the resolution, but it's the video that matters anyway..

Thanks. I'm just playing with video podcasts, as I think it's definately something that'll be more and more common in future. It took some time for my friends (in the UK) to realise they didn't actually need an iPod to watch them - just iTunes would do, which is free.

I've also been trying different compression formats for mobile/cell phones - as this is another area that should grow - but it's generally worse than Video iPod.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I really like the first 10 seconds of it, the rest is pretty good, but it gets a bit repetitive and there's a lot of filler and lag time. It's better to cut the song short and have a non stop attention grabbing video, then to have a bunch of good clips spread out with filler in between in most cases. The best way to end a video, is to have the viewer want more and say "that was short! Where's the rest?!". Your on the right track though, keep it up man. Check out http://www.quadnineproductions.com to see some of the stuff I have worked on with a friend of mine. I didn't do much of the editing, but a lot of the camera work. Never the less, it should give you a good idea of how extreme sports can be edited to keep the viewer constantly interested. Oh, forgot to say it's a wakeboarding/waterskiing site.

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
corywoolf said:
I really like the first 10 seconds of it, the rest is pretty good, but it gets a bit repetitive and there's a lot of filler and lag time. It's better to cut the song short and have a non stop attention grabbing video, then to have a bunch of good clips spread out with filler in between in most cases. The best way to end a video, is to have the viewer want more and say "that was short! Where's the rest?!". Your on the right track though, keep it up man. Check out http://www.quadnineproductions.com to see some of the stuff I have worked on with a friend of mine. I didn't do much of the editing, but a lot of the camera work. Never the less, it should give you a good idea of how extreme sports can be edited to keep the viewer constantly interested. Oh, forgot to say it's a wakeboarding/waterskiing site.

Well, here's the thing that I have a problem with... when you're involved in something, your mind finds interest in things that aren't particularly interesting. That effects the editing process, and things are left in that really should be on the editing room floor.

My comment about the repetition is that while I never used the same clip twice, I did use similar shots togive a visual theme to the verse, chorus and bridge. Maybe it's unnecessary.

I did watch 3-4 of your videos. And, it's pretty clear why you like the begining of mine.. you guys basically use the same style of introducing the situation. After that you lost me, and maybe this is a short-fall of my videos as well. I don't find low res videos very compelling. One of the vids I saw was edited as if you had these beautifully majestic shots... and so, you have these slow motion shots that aren't very engaging. Maybe more detail makes all of the difference. I know that I was done with the shot before it was over.

Danksi said:
Thanks. I'm just playing with video podcasts, as I think it's definately something that'll be more and more common in future. It took some time for my friends (in the UK) to realise they didn't actually need an iPod to watch them - just iTunes would do, which is free.

I've also been trying different compression formats for mobile/cell phones - as this is another area that should grow - but it's generally worse than Video iPod.

I think you are right. I've wanted to get into video podcasting... but, as I've said, it takes me forever to get around to editing stuff together. What's the codec that they use for video podcasts?

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
hal0n said:
it's h.264 but I think it looks over compressed... any one have any recommendations for fast moving video compression?
I think the problem is that you didn't deinterlace the video while you were compressing it. That doesn't only spoil the picture perceived quality, but it also spoils the h.264 encoder performance which i think is tuned for progressive sources.
Also don't forget to use double pass encoding since it improves a lot the picture quality in such fast moving scenes.

If you have Apple "Compressor" you will find a lot of settings you can play with to deinterlace and preprocess a video before actually compressing it, so you might experiment with that. If you don't have it, you might try using ffmpegX (free/donationware) which offers good deinterlacing, denoise and deblock filters to enhance picture quality and it supports h.264 encoding.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Revlimit Punk said:
If you have Apple "Compressor" you will find a lot of settings you can play with to deinterlace and preprocess a video before actually compressing it, so you might experiment with that.

I'll have to play with my compressor settings and see if I can improve the quality of my podcast movies.

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Revlimit Punk said:
I think the problem is that you didn't deinterlace the video while you were compressing it. That doesn't only spoil the picture perceived quality, but it also spoils the h.264 encoder performance which i think is tuned for progressive sources.
Also don't forget to use double pass encoding since it improves a lot the picture quality in such fast moving scenes.

If you have Apple "Compressor" you will find a lot of settings you can play with to deinterlace and preprocess a video before actually compressing it, so you might experiment with that. If you don't have it, you might try using ffmpegX (free/donationware) which offers good deinterlacing, denoise and deblock filters to enhance picture quality and it supports h.264 encoding.

Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.