Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
This is a problem my Mom’s having. Next time I go over there I need to fix it. She’s not describing what happens to me properly over the phone. But both of them are not playing the locator sound (sounds like a radar signal) But I’ve been googling for this for too long now and can’t find anything.

Basically, when you tell Siri, “Find my iPad”, which iPad does it play the sound on if you have more than one? Is there somewhere you can tell Apple which iPad to play a sound on by default? (the way Apple seems to do things, I bet the answer to that question is no).

I do know to make sure “Find My“ is turned on on bother her iPads. Which may be her only problem. If it’s turned off on one of them and I turn it on, it’s possible it’ll play the sound on both of them.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
From your description it’s working the way it’s designed to work. I’m a little baffled why hearing a sound from two iPads is a problem. And you’re correct that there isn’t a way to designate the sound from only one device.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Does each iPad have a unique name? They ought to - it helps you know which backup belongs to which iPad, for example. If they have unique names, "Find iPad Smith" or "Find iPad Jones" should work.

Settings > General > About > Name

levander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Does each iPad have a unique name? They ought to - it helps you know which backup belongs to which iPad, for example. If they have unique names, "Find iPad Smith" or "Find iPad Jones" should work.

Settings > General > About > Name

I’m not sure yet. I was trying to ask in advance of going over to Mom’s house. But I’m realizing now I put way too much detail into OP.

The question is this, when I tell Siri, “Find my IPad”, how does it know which iPad to play the locator sound on If you have more than one iPad?
[automerge]1596206280[/automerge]
From your description it’s working the way it’s designed to work. I’m a little baffled why hearing a sound from two iPads is a problem. And you’re correct that there isn’t a way to designate the sound from only one device.

You didn’t read the OP closely. She’s not hearing a sound from both iPads.

Should she be? Is that the way it!s supposed to work?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I’m not sure yet. I was trying to ask in advance of going over to Mom’s house. But I’m realizing now I put way too much detail into OP.

The question is this, when I tell Siri, “Find my IPad”, how does it know which iPad to play the locator sound on If you have more than one iPad?
[automerge]1596206280[/automerge]

You didn’t read the OP closely. She’s not hearing a sound from both iPads.

Should she be? Is that the way it!s supposed to work?
Your OP is a bit confusing. It’s not clear what outcome you want. You want both iPads play the sound, or both don’t, or one does and one doesn’t? If you have them set up the same way, both should play the sound.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

I can't test this myself - I have only one iPad. However, it's likely that if each iPad has a distinct name, Siri will ask for clarification. That's certainly what happens if you ask Siri to phone "John." "Should I phone John Smith or John Jones?"

levander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Your OP is a bit confusing. It’s not clear what outcome you want. You want both iPads play the sound, or both don’t, or one does and one doesn’t? If you have them set up the same way, both should play the sound.

The reason I don’t put a desired outcome Is because I don’t have one. I’mjust trying to figure out how it’s supposed to work.

levander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I can't test this myself - I have only one iPad. However, it's likely that if each iPad has a distinct name, Siri will ask for clarification. That's certainly what happens if you ask Siri to phone "John." "Should I phone John Smith or John Jones?"

Apfel, thanks for taking a stab at it. But I hear the sounds over the phone with Mom and it’s definitely not doing that.

Hopefully this is easier to fix when I’m actually over there and can play with it myself.

Thanks guys.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
As far as I am aware, using Siri to find an iPad, when there are multiple iPads within listening range, will invoke sound on all the iPads, regardless of what personal name you assign each iPad through settings > general > about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.