Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So I got an iPhone 14 on launch day and wanted to try out a new NVMO carrier: Tello.

I wanted to find out if it's worth the change of my current T Mobile service to a lower cost plan that supposedly uses the same towers.

Easy sign up, eSIM was easy to activate, new phone line and $10 month service which blows my TMO monthly by 70% cheaper.

I started to use it, set it up the same as my TMO iPhone 12 Pro.

Exact same locations throughout the areas I drove to - 12 Pro shows 5G, 14 shows LTE.

Why would this happen ?

Is it a Tello service limitation due to a contract with TMO ?

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
So I’m having this same issue on T mobile. I can get 5G on if I go into settings > Cellular > turn on this line (and turn it off and back on). In this specific area only, when it turns back on 5G shows up.

I feel like this is an ios 16 or esim issue honestly

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So I’m having this same issue on T mobile. I can get 5G on if I go into settings > Cellular > turn on this line (and turn it off and back on). In this specific area only, when it turns back on 5G shows up.

I feel like this is an ios 16 or esim issue honestly
Looking at my 12 Pro on TMO, it connects to the 5G UC (mid band) consistently.

The 14 on Tello is consistently on LTE (4G).

Will have to try your trick by turning off / on the line in Cellular settings...

sideman7

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2016
I'm having the same issue with T-Mobile. No 5G, and there appear to be other serious issues with the connection. Constant dropping calls, LTE only, and no data during a call. I can't add my cell plan back to my watch either, it tells me T-mobile doesn't support it lol... On the phone with support now...

• Wow

placebo3

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Exact same locations throughout the areas I drove to - 12 Pro shows 5G, 14 shows LTE.

Why would this happen ?
Tello doesn't support 5G on iPhones yet. The blog entries announcing 5G and full support for the iPhone are misleading. If you look at the comments to these posts, Tello reps admit the company is still working on bringing 5G support to the iPhone.

I just set up T-Mobile's network pass free trial as a secondary cellular service on my iPhone 14 Pro. When I select T-Mobile for cellular data, the phone indicates a 5G connection. However, if I select Tello, it shows LTE.

TeruBozu

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
I am one of the newly mislead.

Just spent hours getting the darned esim activation to take a proper enough scan on iPad Air 5 to get the esim activated on a new Tello account, but after following directions for the APN setting wholesale and hotspot setup, put it in airplane mode and then off airplane mode, esim connectected to Tello data service but showing only LTE and 3G options in the cellular settings. Argh

This setup can’t get 5G (midband was what I was looking for) even when I’m in 5G space with a 5G array compatible device like my iPad Air.

Wish I had come across this post before I signed up for Tello.

Hopefully, they can soon make it right or admit to a hasty rollout .

Would very much appreciate any success success stories. Thanks

TeruBozu

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
After going into their blogs, I find that only Android phones are able to get 5G at this time With Tello.

iOs devices, though able to be eSim activated, DO NOT have 5G made available.
Only 4Lte and 3G.

Got an email from CS saying that they’re trying for sometime towards the end of this year, although who knows if it even happens.

At Apples support page, Tello nor UsMobile is not listed under carriers list of Companies supporting their eSim,(maybe it doesn’t matter if the underlying carriers Tmobile (for Tello) and Verizon (in UsMobile’s 5G) are on that list) so my bad for not reading more carefully before I signed up mistakingly believing that iOs devices could get 5G eSim.

So Oops!

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
After going into their blogs, I find that only Android phones are able to get 5G at this time With Tello.

iOs devices, though able to be eSim activated, DO NOT have 5G made available.
Only 4Lte and 3G.

Got an email from CS saying that they’re trying for sometime towards the end of this year, although who knows if it even happens.

At Apples support page, Tello nor UsMobile is not listed under carriers list of Companies supporting their eSim,(maybe it doesn’t matter if the underlying carriers Tmobile (for Tello) and Verizon (in UsMobile’s 5G) are on that list) so my bad for not reading more carefully before I signed up mistakingly believing that iOs devices could get 5G eSim.

So Oops!
Yes, confirmed by Tello rep.

I guess I am abandoning Tello as a new MVNO.

Looking at Mint Mobile ?

placebo3

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Two things to consider. (1) This is not a new issue. People were asking about 5G years on iPhones years ago. (2) Soon after the iPhone 14 was announced, I contacted Tello to ask about eSIM support. I was told it should be available in December, but it ended up being supported before the iPhone 14 was released. So I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully, 5G support will come soon, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

herrharro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
Yeah same here. I signed up for Tello’s eSIM after getting the new iPhone 14 pro only to learn afterwards that 5G doesn’t work. I contacted them and they confirmed to me that 5G is currently only working on Android phones and that they plan to get 5G working on iPhones by the end of the year. So let’s see. If they don’t implement it by then I guess I will switch to Mint. Maybe a lot of iPhone 14 people moved to Tello now for their eSIM which would cause a bit of pressure. So let’s all contact them about it and let them know we are waiting for it ;)

Edit: According to this Reddit they were saying to bring 5G to the iPhone already in June/July. So not sure how much we can trust the end of the year timeline…
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tello/comments/u2rpze

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yeah same here. I signed up for Tello’s eSIM after getting the new iPhone 14 pro only to learn afterwards that 5G doesn’t work. I contacted them and they confirmed to me that 5G is currently only working on Android phones and that they plan to get 5G working on iPhones by the end of the year. So let’s see. If they don’t implement it by then I guess I will switch to Mint. Maybe a lot of iPhone 14 people moved to Tello now for their eSIM which would cause a bit of pressure. So let’s all contact them about it and let them know we are waiting for it ;)

Edit: According to this Reddit they were saying to bring 5G to the iPhone already in June/July. So not sure how much we can trust the end of the year timeline…
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tello/comments/u2rpze
Oh my, I was really hoping for end of this year.

Not June next year.

I was so jazzed at $10/month per line that I was ready to port over my family's phones....

So here I am still with TMO paying 3x the price!

herrharro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
Oh my, I was really hoping for end of this year.

Not June next year.

I was so jazzed at $10/month per line that I was ready to port over my family's phones....

So here I am still with TMO paying 3x the price!
I think this post meant June 22… ;)

herrharro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
Email from Tello said early 2023...
Yeah same for me... Just saying that maybe they always tell customers that they are about to bring 5G to the iPhone in about 2-3 months, just to not lose customers immediately... The OP in the reddit post asked Tello about 5G in April 22 and they said they will bring it by June/July 22... Sounds very familiar ;)

Digged into this a little deeper and found this interesting article. This suggests that Apple is actually the culprit here and unless Tello doesn't buy a ton of iPhones, regulators do something about it, or Apple changes it's policy, we won't get 5G on the iPhone with Tello. So let's see. I will wait until end of the year, will ask them again, and if the answer is again "in about 2-3 months", I will switch.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yeah same for me... Just saying that maybe they always tell customers that they are about to bring 5G to the iPhone in about 2-3 months, just to not lose customers immediately... The OP in the reddit post asked Tello about 5G in April 22 and they said they will bring it by June/July 22... Sounds very familiar ;)

Digged into this a little deeper and found this interesting article. This suggests that Apple is actually the culprit here and unless Tello doesn't buy a ton of iPhones, regulators do something about it, or Apple changes it's policy, we won't get 5G on the iPhone with Tello. So let's see. I will wait until end of the year, will ask them again, and if the answer is again "in about 2-3 months", I will switch.

Very interesting indeed - had no idea Apple was not allowing access to 5G !

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I don’t mind paying three times less than T-Mobile and not getting 5G, so much so that I switched to Tello today. I was already aware that 5G wasn’t supported on iPhones with Tello.
One important factor for me was long term international roaming , T-Mobile could cancel my line due to excessive overseas usage. Didn’t want that risk. Since Tello doesn’t even offer international roaming I can now use my local foreign eSim for data and Wi-Fi calling for my Tello line on my iPhone 14PM. Life’s good.

Bob767

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
I was also disappointed not to have 5g on my iPhone 13Pro with a Tello eSim. But, getting email and a few web searches over LTE were speedy. I’d rather have 5g but, I’m not seeing undo inconvenience using LTE and I’m delighted with Tello pricing and their customer service is responsive. Unsure when 5g will be available, hoping it appears soon, but not totally bummed if it takes awhile.

Bob767

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
I think Tello has free international calling. I know we called from USA (south Florida) to Japan a few times, no charge. But, what if we are in Japan calling a local restaurant in Tokyo, for example. Perhaps, as long as the local Tokyo call is over WiFi it’s free?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I think Tello has free international calling. I know we called from USA (south Florida) to Japan a few times, no charge. But, what if we are in Japan calling a local restaurant in Tokyo, for example. Perhaps, as long as the local Tokyo call is over WiFi it’s free?
No, you’ll get charged or it won’t work. You can use Wi-Fi calling from Japan to call back to your home country USA however with no issues.

herrharro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022

Just to provide an update on this. I just asked Tello again when they think 5G will be available for iOS devices and they now refer to mid-2023. So it's what I thought, they will always say it comes in about 3 months... ;) I guess it will never happen.

• Haha

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just to provide an update on this. I just asked Tello again when they think 5G will be available for iOS devices and they now refer to mid-2023. So it's what I thought, they will always say it comes in about 3 months... ;) I guess it will never happen.
Thanks for checking up.

Sounds like my Ford EV order from 10 months ago.

Keeps getting pushed back every month...

Reactions: Fred Zed

Nihilvor

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Here's an interesting update, with people running tests on their phones (someone with a 14 Pro Max).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tello/comments/114cn0p
I've been with Tello for a few months now, and it's been pretty amazing. I'm so glad to be off of Verizon, and I look forward to being able to keep Tello as I upgrade, especially with what looks like G5 service.

herrharro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
Yes, seems like I was wrong! The iOS 16.4 update just brought 5G to my iPhone with Tello!! 😄🤩🥳 Seems like Apple finally changed it's stupid policy.

I had to go to the settings to turn it on. It was not on automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.