Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
So I just found out telnet does not work from terminal anymore. I have some devices that is not ssh friendly. Anyone have a solution?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
So I just found out telnet does not work from terminal anymore. I have some devices that is not ssh friendly. Anyone have a solution?
Do you have a clone of the previous OS? Copy it back to /usr/bin, otherwise it’s gone as you noticed. There was an old thread in this forum about it.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Do you have a clone of the previous OS? Copy it back to /usr/bin, otherwise it’s gone as you noticed. There was an old thread in this forum about it.
I have a Time Machine back up of Sierra, will try to copy it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is annoying; telnet is still used by system administrators quite a bit.

Is Apple losing touch? Certainly feels like it lately.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015

Well besides dropping programs bash, rysnc and others are just ancient. I understand Apple's rationale for not updating them. But at this point it is getting pretty ridiculous how out of date things are. Part of the attraction of a Mac for me was being *nix system. But if the tools are older than Windows Vista that is pretty sad.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Well besides dropping programs bash, rysnc and others are just ancient. I understand Apple's rationale for not updating them. But at this point it is getting pretty ridiculous how out of date things are. Part of the attraction of a Mac for me was being *nix system. But if the tools are older than Windows Vista that is pretty sad.

It doesn't matter how ancient telnet is; it hasn't changed in 20 years. It just makes a TCP connection to a port on a remote host.

Some software is incredibly mature and does not need to be updated. It does the job perfectly and doesn't need additional features.

As for rsync, it's still very much being maintained, and is still incredibly useful with functionality being added for greater performance and reliability. We use it at our site for remote backups. It's Apple's fault that they're still using such an old version.

Reactions: Nermal

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
It doesn't matter how ancient telnet is; it hasn't changed in 20 years. It just makes a TCP connection to a port on a remote host.

Some software is incredibly mature and does not need to be updated. It does the job perfectly and doesn't need additional features.

As for rsync, it's still very much being maintained, and is still incredibly useful with functionality being added for greater performance and reliability. We use it at our site for remote backups. It's Apple's fault that they're still using such an old version.

I agree that some old programs can do the job fine without being updated. However there can be security updates and improvements. Bash and rsync are ancient and lacking in features. I shouldn't have to install a package manager to get a version made in the last decade. I'd have no problem with Apple taking a conservative route in favor of stability, like some Linux distros. But this isn't why these are out of date.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California

If you're a system administrator and your corporate network uses Telnet, you now have one more excuse to tell the executives on why they should disable telnet and upgrade to SSH.

And if you're a system administrator and you can't find an easy workaround to this problem, well, you are not a very good system administrator.

Reactions: jeblis

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
If you're a system administrator and your corporate network uses Telnet, you now have one more excuse to tell the executives on why they should disable telnet and upgrade to SSH.

And if you're a system administrator and you can't find an easy workaround to this problem, well, you are not a very good system administrator.

There are plenty of network devices (switches, printers, IP cameras, and other gear) that still use telnet for configuration. Educate thyself before you make assumptions about why system administrators need telnet.

And yes, we can SSH to some Linux system on the network and telnet from there. But it's silly to remove something so tiny from the OS that is still used regularly across the industry.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015

It would be nice to get rid of telnet, but not every computer is a modern one. There are no doubt lots of systems which use a 3270 terminal still in use.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
There are plenty of network devices (switches, printers, IP cameras, and other gear) that still use telnet for configuration. Educate thyself before you make assumptions about why system administrators need telnet.
Like I said in post #7, you can use netcat instead of the telnet client. Telnet is an old, outdated, deprecated protocol that passes the entire communication (including credentials) in plaintext. You should not be using it. But if you have to, you can install it separately or just use netcat.

Removing telnet from a popular client operating system will hopefully discourage vendors from using the protocol, and encourage them to use more secure ones.

Reactions: jeblis

jjrodriguez

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017

And yes, we can SSH to some Linux system on the network and telnet from there. But it's silly to remove something so tiny from the OS that is still used regularly across the industry.

Hi,

This is how I managed to install telnet on High Sierra, just copy and paste the following commands into your terminal.

Install Homebrew:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Install Telnet:
brew tap theeternalsw0rd/telnet
brew install telnet

Homebrew official page: https://brew.sh/

Tnx!

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I installed the Xcode developer tools (xcode-select --install).
Then I used homebrew to add telnet (brew install telnet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.