Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris.Thomson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Telus has announced their iPad data plan: 500 MB for $20. After that, you're charged $0.05 per MB with a limit on the overage fees of $30 ($50 total).

A few questions remain about their plan, though:

• What happens after you hit $30 in overage fees? Does data just cut-off immediately, or is there a soft-cap of 5 GB, or is it unlimited?
  • Can you activate the plan on the device? AFAIK, other iPad data plans with overage fees don't allow you to activate or deactivate your plan on the device itself.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I was really hoping that Telus would offer a more generous download limit for $20. This will be enough for my short trips to BC, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on this for an entire month.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Jeff Flowerday said:
So if I'm reading this right, it's as low as $20 and up to $50 for unlimited data.

No such thing as unlimited data in Canada. More likely they will just cut you off once you pass $50 (this is not confirmed yet, however).

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I just called a store in Montreal, and apparently there is a 35 CAD activation fee. I was told, there is no possibility to have it waived :(

So lets' summarize:

*Robbers and Bell offer the EXACT same data plan for the iPad for a ridiculous price.
+
*Bell has no on-device account management, you have to call them to activate or de-activate your data plan
+
*Telus offers a slightly better deal for lower data amounts, but charges you 10 CAD for the SIM and 35 CAD activation fee (probably also no on-device account management)

=

FAIL by all Canadian Telco companies

In the end, I will probably have to go with Robbers, because they offer at least an intgrated account management....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.