Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mischaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Amsterdam
I'm so excited about this new game Planet Coaster! It's coming in 2016.

It's from the creators of Rollercoaster Tycoon. Is there anyone who didn't waste hours and hours building theme parks with these games?

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
The game looks pretty cool, I'll be interested to see the first gameplay trailer. Thanks for sharing.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Looks great because RollerCoaster World looks atrocious ...

At least I can keep playing RCT3 on my iPad until it finally arrives on PC/Mac & Consoles. The guys did an exceptional job with Zoo Tycoon on the Xbox One - so have high hopes (even if ScreamRide was a bit meh!)

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
Looks great because RollerCoaster World looks atrocious ...

At least I can keep playing RCT3 on my iPad until it finally arrives on PC/Mac & Consoles. The guys did an exceptional job with Zoo Tycoon on the Xbox One - so have high hopes (even if ScreamRide was a bit meh!)

RCT3's available right now on Steam and the Mac App Store. I've frequently seen it on-sale, too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
RCT3's available right now on Steam and the Mac App Store. I've frequently seen it on-sale, too.

Yeah it's been there years, but the dream of having it running on the ipad is now fully realised and they've done a hell of a good job.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
It appears that the creators have no plans to make this available for Mac; not in the short term anyway. How disappointing the game looks awesome!

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The building in this game is frick'n awesome. The only hindrance is that most of the windows and doors are facades designed for fake buildings in an amusement park, not to build say a house to live in. Are there any accomplished builders in the forum? If so, I have questions, lots of questions. :)

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I really want this game, hope they port it to the mac or at least make a PS4/Xbox One version.

Zoo Tycoon uses much same building tools on console (also by Frontier) so they have the ability to convert the controls over to console ably, it's whether they will is the question.

If not I'll have to consider installing boot camp just for this ...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Two more mind blowing PC videos. The first one is short, but overwhelming in it's design impact. Silvarret, the builder and video maker is such an incredible artist, because of the time and detail he's willing to invest in his buildings. I feel intimidated watching, wondering if I could ever come close.

The second video shows the kind of incredible detail that can be put into building in this game:

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Which is better on iOS, RCT3 ($4.99- no in app purchases) or RCT4 Mobile (with in app purchases)? Is the terrain always flat in these versions?

RCT3 by a vast margin and you can deform terrain and build underground. RCT4 mobile is truly awful

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I might give it a shot. Thanks! :) You can do some hard core terraforming in PC but the tools could be better and there is a height limit.

I'm still in two minds to install boot camp just for planet coaster ... not sure how well it would run on my 2015 MBP

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm still in two minds to install boot camp just for planet coaster ... not sure how well it would run on my 2015 MBP

You have dedicated or integrate graphics? (link)
  • Processor: Intel i5-2300/AMD FX-4300.
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: nVidia GTX 560 (2GB)/AMD Radeon 7850 (2GB)
  • DirectX: Version 11.
  • Storage: 8 GB available space.
  • Additional Notes: Minimum specifications may change during development.
I'm getting a 2016 MBP with integrated graphics and won't even try this game on it (bootcamp/W10).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You have dedicated or integrate graphics? (link)
  • Processor: Intel i5-2300/AMD FX-4300.
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: nVidia GTX 560 (2GB)/AMD Radeon 7850 (2GB)
  • DirectX: Version 11.
  • Storage: 8 GB available space.
  • Additional Notes: Minimum specifications may change during development.
I'm getting a 2016 MBP with integrated graphics and won't even try this game on it (bootcamp/W10).

I have dedicated and can meet all the minimum specs easily, but minimum specs likely won't represent the game as well as it looks in all those fantastic videos and then I'd be left feeling disappointed ... I bet the rollercoaster tycoon world guys are panicking after planet coaster now.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I have watched some pretty in depth videos on this game in construction of buildings etc, I assume this is top level play.

How many levels of play are there ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have watched some pretty in depth videos on this game in construction of buildings etc, I assume this is top level play.

How many levels of play are there ?

I would not be surprised and expect that most of the trophy parks in the videos are sandbox building based on unlimited budgets, just to show what can be accomplished. When it comes to park management, actually playing this as a RTS/management game, there are sandbox, regular, and a challenge modes. Not sure if those have individual levels within them. Sandbox is just sandbox.

The game has two distinct aspects, building versus layout and management. I don't think the games cares how pretty your structures are as long as they are functional and well laid out. I'll admit what drew me to the game is the awesome building capabilities. I'm not an expert on every building sandbox out there, but with extensive experience in Fallout 4, Minecraft, and ARK Survival Evolved, from a purely building aspect, what is included in the base game, PC blows them out of the water even considering mods available for those other games. To be fair, keep in mind that each game focuses on different things. If you want incredible Dino's, you want ARK, post apocalyptic survival, Fallout 4.

It can argued that park management is the main focus of PC, but here you have a game where, building abilities reigns supreme, however, it's limit is that the focus is on amusement park building, not houses with real doors and windows with furniture, kitchen, etc.

One thing I've become aware of, the basic building controls are not terrible, but for other than basic building, the controls are challenging. I feel challenged. If you want to wow yourself and maybe others, you have to devote time studying how building is accomplished on a "professional" level.

When you watch one of those Silvarret building videos, he makes it look easy, but it's not. Keep in mind he's sculpting David, not drawing a stick figure with a crayon. I jumped into the game, started experimenting and have found it can be hard getting things to go where I want them to in a complex structure just using basic pieces. And that combining pieces will be required.

It's not that combining pieces is difficult, but it can be, and getting them in the right place to align with other building parts. You'll also discover that many of the pieces you see in a featured building is actually made up of multiple pieces that have been melded together, with skill. ;) One basic tip you'll become aware of fast, building parts are not stacked as if gravity exists, they float and there are no collision limits. Pieces can be shoved into one another and into the ground to modify how they look and to create new things.

To be inspired watch the This Is Amazing video (post 7), Silvarret's videos in post 10, but to learn basics, watch Geekism's videos, like this one where instead of just showing sped up building, he actually explains how.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Thanks for all that, Geekism and Silvarret all subscribed to :)

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Had my first play with this today, it's like Theme Park on speed :)

Going to take a while to get used it and leaern what you can do and not do.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Take look at this, how do people do this stuff ?

Another amazing PC creation. It's mind boggling. :D My first question would be are those large statues at the entrance included in the Egyptian building set or are they hand crafted? If hand crafted, how?

I've also learned for anything to standout as a wow building creation, you must get into the nitty gritty of custom crafting. The challenge is figuring out how to do that.

Regarding building, I've discovered that non grid items can be rotated in all direction and can be easily molded into one another to create new forms. Grid items can only be rotated around the horizontal plain in relation to their grid, and can be raised and lowered on the grid in fairly small increments, but can't be rotated in 360 degrees. Grid items can be used to combine items in a horizontal or vertical direction. With no collision rules, they can still be pushed into other pieces, but with much less freedom than non-grid items. I think the key is to get a very good handle on the non-grid item inventory and play with those items, although some grid items can be used to build a new forms in a horizontal or vertical direction.

One example, there are no massive horizontal beams, but using smaller pieces, a single large beam can be constructed. And although there is no way to lock these pieces together into a single piece using what I'd call a group command, they can be turned into a blueprint, although I don't yet have a good working knowledge of how to utilize blueprints in building. The pieces ideally must be combined into a single building on a single grid.

The builder Silvarret offers many speed build videos that give you an idea of how to do it, but for the most part does not tell how to do it in real time. I plan on watching his Fantasy Castle video a couple more times to get a better feel for complex building as I fumble around on my own. :p

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
That Egyptian coaster looks awesome; some of these coasters are really awesome - I wonder if any actual theme park owners/operators will take notice of any of these creative designs and actually build them in their park as real coasters?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Another amazing PC creation. It's mind boggling. :D My first question would be are those large statues at the entrance included in the Egyptian building set or are they hand crafted? If hand crafted, how?

I've also learned for anything to standout as a wow building creation, you must get into the nitty gritty of custom crafting. The challenge is figuring out how to do that.

Regarding building, I've discovered that non grid items can be rotated in all direction and can be easily molded into one another to create new forms. Grid items can only be rotated around the horizontal plain in relation to their grid, and can be raised and lowered on the grid in fairly small increments, but can't be rotated in 360 degrees. Grid items can be used to combine items in a horizontal or vertical direction. With no collision rules, they can still be pushed into other pieces, but with much less freedom than non-grid items. I think the key is to get a very good handle on the non-grid item inventory and play with those items, although some grid items can be used to build a new forms in a horizontal or vertical direction.

One example, there are no massive horizontal beams, but using smaller pieces, a single large beam can be constructed. And although there is no way to lock these pieces together into a single piece using what I'd call a group command, they can be turned into a blueprint, although I don't yet have a good working knowledge of how to utilize blueprints in building. The pieces ideally must be combined into a single building on a single grid.

The builder Silvarret offers many speed build videos that give you an idea of how to do it, but for the most part does not tell how to do it in real time. I plan on watching his Fantasy Castle video a couple more times to get a better feel for complex building as I fumble around on my own. :p
I think I just realized those large Egyptian statues are made out of... dirt, yep terrain. :)

That Egyptian coaster looks awesome; some of these coasters are really awesome - I wonder if any actual theme park owners/operators will take notice of any of these creative designs and actually build them in their park as real coasters?

If not too expensive, ya never know. ;)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Its all fun and experimentation, I still have not got stuck in properly yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.