Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rr697

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2019
My 7.1 is a week out and my Nano XDR display is 6 weeks out. Im trying to figure out what to use as a display for 5 weeks. Can I use the Luna Display USB-C module plugged into the 7.1 and use my Late 2015 iMac 5k as the display? The 2015 does not have thunderbolt 3 or display port so Im trying to figure out what to do.

Reactions: OkiRun

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
My 7.1 is a week out and my Nano XDR display is 6 weeks out. Im trying to figure out what to use as a display for 5 weeks. Can I use the Luna Display USB-C module plugged into the 7.1 and use my Late 2015 iMac 5k as the display? The 2015 does not have thunderbolt 3 or display port so Im trying to figure out what to do.
The Luna won't work during boot.

Connect a TV? Rent a display? Buy a cheap display as a backup. An old 27 inch 2009 or 2010 iMac would work with DisplayPort.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
RR, I'm feeling for you. What could be more frustrating than seeing the new MP arrive at your door and have to wait for the display. Good luck and may your patience be rewarded.

Rr697

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2019
The Luna won't work during boot.

Connect a TV? Rent a display? Buy a cheap display as a backup. An old 27 inch 2009 or 2010 iMac would work with DisplayPort.

i contacted support they gave me a work around but said resolution would be around 2.5k pretty lame.

Rr697

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Don’t you currently have any displays?
Just my late 2015 iMac display. Really wish I could use it. Not sure what options I have as I edit video all day everyday and need decent color accuracy on a temporary display. If I buy a display I will have no use for it once the XDR nano arrives.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
i contacted support they gave me a work around but said resolution would be around 2.5k pretty lame.
Work around for what?

As for the resolution, the video is sent via USB or network which has much less bandwidth than a normal display, so I'm not sure what you were expecting. The Luna dongle behaves as a normal display. The DisplayPort signal from the GPU is sent to the dongle which converts (compresses, etc.) the video so it can be sent via USB or network to an iPad or Mac which has software to view the video. I don't know if it's the dongle or the source Mac that is doing the work of compressing or sending the video...

It seems like a better solution than something like DisplayLink which does not act as a display. However, DisplayLink doesn't take one of the limited number of DisplayPort outputs of your GPU, so it has that advantage.

inflame93

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I’ve got a luna connected over ethernet (gotta hold down option, then click preferences to enable)

Has to boot first but I get 5k no lag once connected - it works great, though had to disable sleep otherwise it disconnected

Could buy a cheap screen in the meantime to boot with?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You could always network into your new Mac Pro from your iMac. Remote desktop over fast ethernet at a medium-low resolution like 2560x1440 works pretty well. I remotely control my basement iMac server from my upstairs Mac mini often and it works reasonable well (though not doing any video editing over it).

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
You could always network into your new Mac Pro from your iMac. Remote desktop over fast ethernet at a medium-low resolution like 2560x1440 works pretty well. I remotely control my basement iMac server from my upstairs Mac mini often and it works reasonable well (though not doing any video editing over it).

Don’t you have to set up the Mac Pro first?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.