Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is TenFourFox FPR1...

• Total voters

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Was reading through viva PowerPC's "world" page (which combines a bunch of PPC news sites into one feed) and I found out that TenFourFox FPR (Feature Parity Release) 1 is here and available for download!

So, following my "TenFourFox 45 is Here" thread, here's a discussion thread on it. Is it faster, slower, or about the same? Any annoyances you've found? Any features you love? Post all about it here!

There's also a poll up there ^ where you can vote on whether FPR1 was faster, slower, or the same for you.

I'll be trying it out on my iMac G4 soon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My question will it support Google Widevine aka HTML5 DRM playback ala Netflix ?
If it does, make sure you have a stock install or at least none of my tweaks applied.

I've disabled all the media stuff for faster browsing.

Reactions: Lastic

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
Was reading through viva PowerPC's "world" page (which combines a bunch of PPC news sites into one feed) and I found out that TenFourFox FPR (Feature Parity Release) 1 is here and available for download!

So, following my "TenFourFox 45 is Here" thread, here's a discussion thread on it. Is it faster, slower, or about the same? Any annoyances you've found? Any features you love? Post all about it here!

There's also a poll up there ^ where you can vote on whether FPR1 was faster, slower, or the same for you.

I'll be trying it out on my iMac G4 soon.

If you're talking about your 700MHz iMac, do yourself a favour and use LWK; it's painful to use even on a 1GHz G4 with 1MB L3

I'm a Macrumors 6502 now!! :)

Reactions: AmazingHenry

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I have to agree on fairly slow TFF's lately, but it's more due to the nature of the Internet (all sorts of junk on every site) rather than TFF itself. Having a mobile user agent is almost essential.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If it does, make sure you have a stock install or at least none of my tweaks applied.

OOOOH that explains why HTML5 players don’t work in TFF when they clearly should. That makes much more sense now. Well, as long as it speeds up browsing, I don’t mind using something else to watch videos, or use PPCMediaCenter.

Reactions: eyoungren

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole

Cosign with Gamer9430 , wasn't aware of that but I'm using Hack5190's user.js .
Does it also include these tweaks ?

I'll try without it ,got a subscription to Magine.tv which have now switched from Silverlight to HTML5 which works on my MBp but didn't in TFF FPR1.

Doesn't work, can anybody with a Netflix account try on a clean install non-tweaked TFF FPR1 ?

Last edited:

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
After half a year at the moment I'm at my parents home and my 1ghz eMac is here but all the other macs are in my student's home. I always used TFF on the eMac and it felt really slow, but after upgrading to FPR1 I can use it for browsing again! FPR1 is definitely faster! ;)

Reactions: SkyBell

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cosign with Gamer9430 , wasn't aware of that but I'm using Hack5190's user.js .
Does it also include these tweaks ?

I'll try without it ,got a subscription to Magine.tv which have now switched from Silverlight to HTML5 which works on my MBp but didn't in TFF FPR1.

Doesn't work, can anybody with a Netflix account try on a clean install non-tweaked TFF FPR1 ?
Yeah, Hack's tweaks are based off mine. Basically, they are my tweaks without my junk preferences for addons most people don't have or use. Some of the first changes I made were to disable media stuff I didn't use because my usage for T4Fx is browsing not media and at the time a lot of sites had video that instantly started playing when you loaded a page. Dropped T4Fx to it's knees. Disabling that made it much easier to load and read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.