Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I just came across this new video of TFF on a G4 Cube and was very surprised at the results as Youtube ran at about 1 frame a minute on my G3 iMac then the whole browser crashed soon after. (although it could have been cause I had only 256mb of ram). Obviously this doesn't matter as we have so many better alternatives for video streaming on PPC but this was just cool as I always dismissed TFF's capabilities. Anyways this was nice to see and I hope TFF development continues past the rumored late 2020 end of development for TFF.

Heres the video, the first machine is a 1ghz iMac G4 and the second a 450mhz G4 Cube.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I just came across this new video of TFF on a G4 Cube and was very surprised at the results as Youtube ran at about 1 frame a minute on my G3 iMac then the whole browser crashed soon after.

A key difference for a G3 is that it doesn't have the benefit of QuickTime 7.7 which is used for HTML5 video playback in the browser.
In the video I suspect the Cube did better than expected as it has 1Mb L2 cache - the other machines only had 256Kb cache.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
A key difference for a G3 is that it doesn't have the benefit of QuickTime 7.7 which is used for HTML5 video playback in the browser.
In the video I suspect the Cube did better than expected as it has 1Mb L2 cache - the other machines only had 256Kb cache.
You also have to admit though, tenfourfox isn’t that far behind WebKit when the video is already downloaded. I’d say it’s still watchable, on the iMac G4 and maybe the cube is good for streaming just the audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.