Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Yup, terminal commands to verify and repair permissions that worked in Beta 1 do not seem to work anymore. Gives the following output:

diskutil: did not recognize verb "repairPermissions"; type "diskutil" for a list

christophers-MacBook:~ Chris$ diskutil verifyPermissions /

diskutil: did not recognize verb "verifyPermissions"; type "diskutil" for a list

Would it kill Apple to let us do as we like? I don't prefer the method of doing this automatically when I update the system software.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
They really are pushing the whole 'rootless' thing. I doubt they'll bring it back but I'm sure you could just use an old copy of diskutil if you want to keep using the command.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If I were you, I will also want OS X keep that repair permission function, unless, yes, they release minor versions of OS X more frequently than before, for whatever purpose.

I think repair permission would not solely repair permission of system files, but also home folder permission.

Nevertheless, if apple really want to do something to abandon this terminal command, we would likely try to get used to it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Have you checked whether the operation is available in the Recovery OS? Maybe they retained that operation there, alongside the option to turn off System Integrity Protection. Can you post the list of operations when you type just "diskutil" in Terminal?

I am not sure myself. Clearly Apple seems to think that the operation is obsolete even if it does repair more than the now-protected system and bin folders (I honestly don't know). Either they expand upon System Integrity Protection a bit more or repairpermissions is not necessary for these purposes in the first place. I don't think that Apple would actually leave such an option out if the chance exists that users may have to rely upon system updates and installs for this.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Here is what I got with diskutil in DP2:

Disk Utility Tool

Utility to manage local disks and volumes

Most options require root access to the device

Usage: diskutil [quiet] <verb> <options>, where <verb> is as follows:

list (List the partitions of a disk)

info[rmation] (Get information on a specific disk or partition)

listFilesystems (List file systems available for formatting)

activity (Continuous log of system-wide disk arbitration)

u[n]mount (Unmount a single volume)

unmountDisk (Unmount an entire disk (all volumes))

eject (Eject a disk)

mount (Mount a single volume)

mountDisk (Mount an entire disk (all mountable volumes))

enableJournal (Enable HFS+ journaling on a mounted HFS+ volume)

disableJournal (Disable HFS+ journaling on a mounted HFS+ volume)

moveJournal (Move the HFS+ journal onto another volume)

enableOwnership (Treat as exact User/Group IDs for a mounted volume)

disableOwnership (Ignore on-disk User/Group IDs for a mounted volume)

rename[Volume] (Rename a volume)

verifyVolume (Verify the file system data structures of a volume)

repairVolume (Repair the file system data structures of a volume)

verifyDisk (Verify the components of a partition map of a disk)

repairDisk (Repair the components of a partition map of a disk)

eraseDisk (Erase an existing disk, removing all volumes)

eraseVolume (Erase an existing volume)

reformat (Erase an existing volume with same name and type)

eraseOptical (Erase optical media (CD/RW, DVD/RW, etc.))

zeroDisk (Erase a disk, writing zeros to the media)

randomDisk (Erase a disk, writing random data to the media)

secureErase (Securely erase a disk or freespace on a volume)

partitionDisk ((re)Partition a disk, removing all volumes)

resizeVolume (Resize a volume, increasing or decreasing its size)

splitPartition (Split an existing partition into two or more)

mergePartitions (Combine two or more existing partitions into one)

appleRAID <verb> (Perform additional verbs related to AppleRAID)

coreStorage <verb> (Perform additional verbs related to CoreStorage)

diskutil <verb> with no options will provide help on that verb
repairPermissions and verifyPermissions are indeed gone. I don't see any other differences here.

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
if nothing can modify the system files which includes permissions, then there's no reason to repair system permissions. the only reason you'd want to repair them is if you've disabled system protection mode and i wouldn't be surprised if once 10.11 ships that all the proper tools will be in place for people to repair it. right now things are in a state of flux especially for the enabling/disabling of protection mode as indicated in the WWDC talk.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
It is my understanding, that El Capitan automatically repairs permissions (if need be) with each update.
That's correct. From: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/General/rn-osx-10.11/ (OS X El Capitan Developer Beta 2 Release Notes)

Apple Inc. said:
Disk Utility

Note

• System file permissions are automatically protected, and updated during Software Updates. The Repair Permissions function is no longer necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.