Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Looking for a Terminal command to make my USB 3.5" floppy drive mount on the desktop (PPC 10.5.8).
CD and floppy drives only show when a disk is inserted, and MacOS won't read the disks.

Long story short...running an Atari emulator, MacOS won't read the Atari disks when inserted, so closes the window.
I want to be able to select the floppy drive from the emulator before the disk is inserted, then the emu will read the Atari format (in theory......🤔)

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Looking for a Terminal command to make my USB 3.5" floppy drive mount on the desktop (PPC 10.5.8).
CD and floppy drives only show when a disk is inserted, and MacOS won't read the disks.

Long story short...running an Atari emulator, MacOS won't read the Atari disks when inserted, so closes the window.
I want to be able to select the floppy drive from the emulator before the disk is inserted, then the emu will read the Atari format (in theory......🤔)
Fellow Atarian here, on the flight home from an Atari meeting in Germany.

Can have a look on Monday.

Which emulator are you using ?

Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Hatari.....;)
Got rid of my computer decades ago, but still have all the games on 3.5" floppies, which I re-discovered recently when sorting the loft.
Have been looking on Ebay, but always a bit dubious on condition of machines, so gave the emulator a go.
Works great, just trying to figure out how to access the Atari disks......🤯

Wow, didn't know they still had events for Atari ST....:oops:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
diskutil mountDisk /dev/disk5

mounts all “readable” (to OS X) volumes on the given disk. Type diskutil list to find the device name for your USB floppy drive and substitute it for /dev/disk5.

If the command fails due to insufficient permissions, prefix it with sudo.

But this won’t solve your problem of making an empty drive or “unreadable” disk appear on the desktop — because only mounted volumes appear on the desktop and empty drives or “unreadable” volumes can’t be mounted.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Hatari.....;)
Got rid of my computer decades ago, but still have all the games on 3.5" floppies, which I re-discovered recently when sorting the loft.
Have been looking on Ebay, but always a bit dubious on condition of machines, so gave the emulator a go.
Works great, just trying to figure out how to access the Atari disks......🤯

Wow, didn't know they still had events for Atari ST....:oops:

Well it's 8 bit Atari but ST's/Falcon are also present

Still in the progress of unpacking so I'll get back to you on Monday.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Had another play today.
Connecting the floppy drive, shows in Disk Utility, shows in Terminal.

If I insert a Dos disk, it is selectable in Hatari.
Remove the disk and the drive disappears......:confused:

However (with no disk inserted) the drive 'disk1' still shows in Hatari under the dev folder.

25639143-84DD-4A08-BE63-3F9EDC7CBBE4.jpeg 74AD8759-41C8-4325-8700-8DAFD31B6CBF.jpeg 70EC897B-4DA4-4896-8DA8-0B700FF2E156.jpeg

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I think Hatari is looking for a disk image, not a raw disk here?
You might be correct.....I think I am coming to the end of this journey....:confused:
(that's what happens when you start sorting old stuff out.....major distraction)
You can download TOS files, but I don't trust DL stuff.
I have them on physical disk, so prefer to use them, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to read them.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I have them on physical disk, so prefer to use them, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to read them.
Creating a disk image of a physical disk is as simple as typing sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=image.dsk in Terminal.

This assumes the floppy drive can read the disks and there’s nothing “weird” on them (a sector-based copy protection or something like that) which might throw off the procedure.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with Atari-formatted floppies.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Creating a disk image of a physical disk is as simple as typing sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=image.dsk in Terminal.

This assumes the floppy drive can read the disks and there’s nothing “weird” on them (a sector-based copy protection or something like that) which might throw off the procedure.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with Atari-formatted floppies.
This is good to know.
But the disks/floppy drive do not show/mount if it's an Atari disk, so another dead end unfortunately....🤨

Ideally need a Mac app which can read Atari disk format, so I can copy to Mac drive.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
But the disks/floppy drive do not show/mount if it's an Atari disk, so another dead end unfortunately....🤨
The dd command addresses the entire drive so the format of the floppies or whether they’re mounted shouldn’t matter.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Sorry I didn't read this properly...
Does the above create a disk image OF the floppy disk on my Mac?

Tried the above, no joy.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
It only shows as the usb drive in DU, no media showing (Atari disk), but the drive is listed in Terminal.
Ran the command and it shows as 0 bytes read/copied, floppy constantly accessing, but nothing happening.

I tried a dos disk, same result.
Also tried it from DU, create image.

Will have a look again and take screenshot next time......😬

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
It only shows as the usb drive in DU, no media showing (Atari disk), but the drive is listed in Terminal.
Ran the command and it shows as 0 bytes read/copied, floppy constantly accessing, but nothing happening.

I tried a dos disk, same result.
Also tried it from DU, create image.

Will have a look again and take screenshot next time......😬
Insert the Atari disk into the floppy drive and from the terminal:

Code:
diskutil list

Upload the result.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Tried the above, no joy.
I've just tried this with a 1.44 MB DOS-formatted floppy. I had to unmount it first (sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1 - but this won't be necessary if OS X can't read the format), then sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=floppy.img produced a 1,474,560-byte image just fine. Since OS X can read FAT12, I can mount the image by double-clicking on it.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Not sure how if Hatari can mount a RAW img file since I'm guessing it's expecting an .ST or .MSA file

There are 2 problems when using an USB floppy with Atari formatted diskettes

Not all USB floppies are able to read the format
second if the Atari formatted disk use a higher total of sectors they are unreadable to the USB floppy.

The non-OSx way when you have ,a capable to read Atari floppy-disks, USB diskdrive is Windows XP and this tool to image your floppies to .ST or .MSA which can be read by Hatari or any other ST Emulator.

Looks like all the disk imaging tools are Windows , here is another one that I found

I actually bought an old Thinkpad with an internal floppy-drive to be able to use the above tools.

You might be able to use Virtual PC and run an emulated Windows in order to use these tools.

There is an Arduino-based floppy controller which would allow any floppy-drive to read the formats but the software is either Linux or Windows.

A good collection of .ST images and .MSA is TOSEC as explained here

For games specifically there is this one

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Insert the Atari disk into the floppy drive and from the terminal:

Code:
diskutil list

Upload the result.
With the Atari disk in I get this in Terminal, the image file is created but zero bytes

IMG_0173.jpg

Tried to create an image from DU, with the Dos disk and it says repair the disk, then I get this message

IMG_0172.JPEG

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
With the Atari disk in I get this in Terminal, the image file is created but zero bytes

View attachment 2058988

Tried to create an image from DU, with the Dos disk and it says repair the disk, then I get this message

View attachment 2058987
Not all USB floppies are able to read the format
second if the Atari formatted disk use a higher total of sectors they are unreadable to the USB floppy.

The non-OSx way when you have ,a capable to read Atari floppy-disks, USB diskdrive is Windows XP and this tool to image your floppies to .ST or .MSA which can be read by Hatari or any other ST Emulator.
Likely it can't read the disk, and it would likely not do you any good to create a dd image anyway as @Lastic points out above.

You're probably going to need a tool to create .ST or .MSA images. Hope your USB floppy will work too!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I think I am calling it a day on this now, it's all too much of a faff.
Even if/when I could get the disk to read, there is no saying Hatari will accept it.....:confused:

May look into getting an ST off eBay, just for the nostalgia.....🎮

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I decided to try a DL from a 'reputable site' (from what I researched).....😬
Atarimania seem to only have content from original ST disks.

Game loads and runs great in Hatari, with sound, music and save games working.....😁
And as I actually have this game in physical format, I don't feel guilty.
But then Atari is abondonware.

CD167428-D9CB-4EA6-8D29-EFC5C544DF7B.jpeg

With additional research into ACTUAL Atari ST machines, it's just too complicated (with the age) with connections to modern equipment, either TV or monitor, and poor output on a hi-rez display (ST was only 320x200px).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.