Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleNooble

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2021
Hi, just wondering whether it's somehow possible to have different colours in terminal for things such as user input and current user i.e. the way it is in Linux? It's so hard to see where one command starts and where it ends or indeed, it's difficult to find your commands when you just see one block of the same colour!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hi, just wondering whether it's somehow possible to have different colours in terminal for things such as user input and current user i.e. the way it is in Linux? It's so hard to see where one command starts and where it ends or indeed, it's difficult to find your commands when you just see one block of the same colour!

Of course. You say "The way you can in Linux"; The process is identical. Whatever setup you run on Linux you can transfer over more or less directly. Some minor things are different, like the flag to enable colour in ls is -G instead of -color=true or whatever GNU ls uses, but otherwise it's basically the same. Have a view at my setup :)

It uses some zsh plugins to get the red colour for commands that are mistyped/don't exist and the "shadow suggestions" but the base prompt colouring is all standard zsh prompt colouring
Colours are fun :p

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Ended up getting ohmyzsh with the profile lukerandall! Looks much better.

Nice :) I can also recommend installing and setting a so-called "nerd-font" for your Terminal; It includes font characters for all sorts of nerd relevant things like GitHub, branch symbols, etc. that you can use for your prompts; It's how I got the git branch icon when I'm in a git repo in what I showed before. Alway made custom prompts though never played around with tools like Oh My Zsh though I've heard good things about it

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What does the git branch icon tell you?
... It looks pretty. I mean it's only present when I'm in a directory that is a git repo so I guess its an indicator of that, but the (branch|diff) thing also only appears when I'm in a git repo so in a way it's superfluous. I just like the look of it honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.