Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syke23z

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
California
Hi! I recently installed OS X El Cap on my new Macbook Retina Pro 13" and was wondering if anyone else if experiencing terrible battery life. Since, I did not use the computer on Yosemite for more than a day I am wondering if this is a hardware problem or a software beta issue. Also, I have long boot-up times and often takes more then just a click to get my screen going? I am aware this is a beta / pre-release software and battery life can be diminished. Anyone in the same boat?

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I haven't experienced poor battery life. Maybe try to repair disk permissions or check activity monitor to see if there are any proceses taking up a lot of cpu resources.

mefistos

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
I had same problem also the battery was overheating constantly being on 30C when on yosemite it's about 25C... not good for the battery capacity:) that's why I am back to yosemite until this is fixed

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I had same problem also the battery was overheating constantly being on 30C when on yosemite it's about 25C... not good for the battery capacity:) that's why I am back to yosemite until this is fixed

When your battery is operating at 30c, what is the ambient air temperature?

Tosic

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
Battery is definitely worse but that is too be expected with being beta software, still get 8 hrs ish so still is very good.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
My battery life has been really bad! I was charging every 3-4 days with average use on my 12" rMB but now it's at least every 1-2 days. I maybe average 1-2 hours of use on it per day. I mostly pull it our for quick google look-ups and remoting using RDP or LogMeIn Technician into customer's computers and servers. Also, it seems like it uses battery while asleep, which it never did before. I may go back to turning it off instead of sleeping it until this is fixed. I don't have any rogue processes running that I can see.

As another poster mentioned, I have noticed the slow shutdowns and startups--though it is not all the time; sometimes it's very fast. Also, I have had several out-right freezes that have required hard shut-downs. But this is Beta Build DP1 so I am not that worried about it. I just have to keep my power adapter more handy and actually carry it in my bag for the moment. I haven't tried the permissions check as someone suggested, so I will try that now.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
it's around 45 why?

I was just wondering if the higher battery temp you are seeing was a result of a higher ambient temperature.

You should note that Apple specs say the maximum recommended ambient temperature for battery health is 35c. At an ambient temperature of 35c the battery will be quite a bit above this, especially whilst charging. I don't think an actual battery temperature of 30c is anything to worry about.

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
my rMBP 2015 13" has had lower battery and generally the machine gets warmer. i'm guessing power management isn't fully tuned yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.