Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoNatan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
I opened rdar://17124873 for this issue.

2-3 windows are enough to make the entire thing become so sluggish, similarly terrible as iOS7 on iPad 3. What an amazing difference between this and Mavericks beta 1 and its smooth scrolling. Open 2-3 tabs in Safari and try to scroll - an exercise of patience.

It is either a terrible driver for the Intel 4000 chip, a terrible optimization or the chip cannot handle the blur. Since I've run Windows 7 on this machine with all the Aero effects running smooth at full retina resolution and another display, I will take a wild guess :rolleyes: and assume the former two.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Maybe abit offtopic, but are you sure 2013 MBPr has intel 4000 and nothing extra? For me that seems hardly believable.

LeoNatan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Maybe abit offtopic, but are you sure 2013 MBPr has intel 4000 and nothing extra? For me that seems hardly believable.
Early 2013 13" MBPr has only an Intel 4000 chip. There is no room for a discrete card in there.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
In that case, MBA 2012 is using exact same GPU but it's resolution is like 2 times smaller. So no wonder you aren't getting silky smooth experience. Weird specs configuration indeed.

Yet still, the lag obviously shouldn't be nearly as bad, so everything we could suggest is to try clean reinstall and if it won't help, report it to Apple via feedback assistant and wait for another build.

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
My rMBP Mid 2012 has the same problem as yours.. Very bad.. I Hope next versions have better optimization on graphics performance on Retina Macbook Pros.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I was used scaled resolution on mine and it was nearly unusable. I had to switch back to best for display to get some decent performance. Still choppy in parts for sure though.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'd just like to remind folks that this is first beta release. By definition, it's festooned with marginally-functional, partly-tested, entirely-unoptimized code and has all sorts of diagnostics doobobs enabled that cruft up the system.

IIRC, this is the first OS X beta not restricted to paid developer accounts. Many folks have jumped in without realizing what a beta OS is and entails, and why it's unwise for the average user to install the beta on a non-development machine. It would not surprise me after seeing all the threads populated by complaining non-developers if this is the last unrestricted beta too.

At least this thread began with a poster who opened a rdar. Anyone who doesn't know what that is really shouldn't be loading in a beta this early.

ikm19

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Texas
I was having same problem with my 15" rmbp, but after switching off the automatic graphic switching its working smooth.

Seems like drivers problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.