Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaracksPhallusPalace

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
Anyone else having abysmal service after 15.1.1 on Verizon? I don't know if this is just an issue with my handset, but I will have "full bars" w/ 5G or LTE and I will barely get 2Mbps download speeds.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I’m having the same problem with an iPhone 13 Pro Max running the latest OS. Turning airplane mode on and off only buys me a few minutes of faster speeds. I’ve reset network settings and done a hard reboot, but eventually the inconsistent speeds return. Very frustrating.

BaracksPhallusPalace

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
I’m having the same problem with an iPhone 13 Pro Max running the latest OS. Turning airplane mode on and off only buys me a few minutes of faster speeds. I’ve reset network settings and done a hard reboot, but eventually the inconsistent speeds return. Very frustrating.
are you on Verizon as well?

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Gotta be the crappy Qualcomm modems apple is using in the 12 and 13 series iPhones . never had this problem with intel Modems ?

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Gotta be the crappy Qualcomm modems apple is using in the 12 and 13 series iPhones . never had this problem with intel Modems ?
My XS Max had an Intel modem and also had inconsistent speeds. I even brought it to the Verizon store, where the speeds were bad both on my phone and the employee’s phone.

I’ve been with Verizon for many years, but I’m at the point where I’m going to explore other options. I’m going to call Verizon support tomorrow to see whether there’s a problem with my account settings.

Reactions: Ram65

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
My XS Max had an Intel modem and also had inconsistent speeds. I even brought it to the Verizon store, where the speeds were bad both on my phone and the employee’s phone.

I’ve been with Verizon for many years, but I’m at the point where I’m going to explore other options. I’m going to call Verizon support tomorrow to see whether there’s a problem with my account settings.
Check your account settings and look into ATT they really improved there network

Reactions: shooter45acp

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Hey I have the 13 mini and have data speeds of 0.6 in a little grocery store I go to on the weekends. I had the 11 before, and I don't remember ever having terrible data speeds on Verizon anywhere. I couldn't even use siri or send a picture over imessage it was so bad at the grocery store. When I walk outside it jumps up to about 9mb.

My guess is that Verizon is being terrible about updating to 5g. (I tried 5g and LTE in the store and both have abyssmal speeds.) (Also, I don't have 5gUW, so I'm hoping that it's not that the store is in 5gUW area and so LTE and 5g normal suck.)

BaracksPhallusPalace

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
Seems like the tradeoff with Verizon is having good coverage for making calls, but their data network is mediocre. I actually was getting better average speeds with Metro PCS than I am with Verizon, which is pathetic.

• Wow
Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Seems like the tradeoff with Verizon is having good coverage for making calls, but their data network is mediocre. I actually was getting better average speeds with Metro PCS than I am with Verizon, which is pathetic.
This wasn’t always the case, though. I was on sprint before and it’s data service was terrible. We moved to Verizon because they ALWAYS had data service no matter where.

If by mediocre you mean 12-39 mb LTE depending on location, yes, I agree that’s mediocre… but that was plenty for us (maps, internet, YouTube at 720p, streaming music).

Now it seems like the terrible Sprint we left behind (at least in the one grocery store mentioned above where I used to have no problem).

I’m actually really angry at Verizon right now for this. They need to fix what we they messed up.

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
seems good to me

13A9790B-17A5-4A77-A14A-23FF7C8530FC.jpeg

also.. if you live in the USA verizon is notorious for having better speeds on the east coast and crap on the west..

AT&T is west coast premium ?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Verizon has been so crappy lately. They’ve really gone downhill in the past year. I hope it’s just a spectrum issue and that things will improve drastically once C band starts being used. I am in one of the 46 markets that’s approved for the initial rollout. Hopefully my area does make it in the initial rollout so I can determine soon whether I’m going to stick with Verizon or move to another carrier.

Reactions: Ram65 and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Verizon has been so crappy lately. They’ve really gone downhill in the past year. I hope it’s just a spectrum issue and that things will improve drastically once C band starts being used. I am in one of the 46 markets that’s approved for the initial rollout. Hopefully my area does make it in the initial rollout so I can determine soon whether I’m going to stick with Verizon or move to another carrier.
That's my fear: that Verizon will turn on their C band, and the only way to get the better coverage is to pay for a newer plan. I should just be happy with my older family plan where we don't pay that much comparatively for 25GB of high speed data, and just suck it up where my cell service data sucks *** (which is only one place so far I've found).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hey I have the 13 mini and have data speeds of 0.6 in a little grocery store I go to on the weekends. I had the 11 before, and I don't remember ever having terrible data speeds on Verizon anywhere. I couldn't even use siri or send a picture over imessage it was so bad at the grocery store. When I walk outside it jumps up to about 9mb.

My guess is that Verizon is being terrible about updating to 5g. (I tried 5g and LTE in the store and both have abyssmal speeds.) (Also, I don't have 5gUW, so I'm hoping that it's not that the store is in 5gUW area and so LTE and 5g normal suck.)
Terrible signal (regardless of carrier) is normal in the grocery store due to the construction.

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
I have TMobile and my speeds are always great no issues. Their 5G is awesome everywhere I go almost glad I left Verizon and I don't pay extra for 5G which is a ripoff IMHO.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Terrible signal (regardless of carrier) is normal in the grocery store due to the construction.
I’ll grant that may be true, but I never remember being unable to send a picture over iMessage or even to use Siri on my watch to send a iMessage (just text) because there’s low-no data happening. (“Hey Siri, text (name) They don’t have any unsalted butter.” <- THAT fails)

The 11 I had until about October 2021 never had this issue. So it’s either Verizon got real bad at this location, or the 13 mini with the Qualcomm X60 that is supposed to be top-of-the line is bad with Verizon.

BigT27

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2021
I have TMobile and my speeds are always great no issues. Their 5G is awesome everywhere I go almost glad I left Verizon and I don't pay extra for 5G which is a ripoff IMHO.
I agree 100% I switched from Verizon due to slow speeds and paying to much. T-Mobile has been solid and super fast anywhere I go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.