Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
It’d be another android pos with Tesla branding tho….
Well… if its an Android … where‘s the innovation? I am aware it‘s not an easy endeavour to come up with a mobile OS capable to complete with the likes of iOS and Android. However, if Tesla intends to bring something new and innovative to the table and not just be another also-ran it needs something new. Certainly not an Android.

I guess Elon Musk knows that. Which is why I am very sceptical on the rumor

Last edited:
Reactions: duanepatrick

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What would Tesla's point of difference be in a phone? A quick google search bring up rumours of Starlink connectivity (not going to happen), crypto mining (lol), powerful astrophotography (doubtful that they'd outdo existing companies), and Neuralink functionality (which doesn't even exist yet). I also doubt they could build something cheaper (because they won't have the scale) or significantly more well-constructed or premium, and at the end of the day they'll need to run some form of Android along with Android apps anyway.

So, honestly, what would be the point of this thing?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
What would Tesla's point of difference be in a phone? A quick google search bring up rumours of Starlink connectivity (not going to happen), crypto mining (lol), powerful astrophotography (doubtful that they'd outdo existing companies), and Neuralink functionality (which doesn't even exist yet). I also doubt they could build something cheaper (because they won't have the scale) or significantly more well-constructed or premium, and at the end of the day they'll need to run some form of Android along with Android apps anyway.

Then what is the point of doing anything? Why create any new things? I mean using your logic why should anybody make a new phone at all?
This is exactly what the automobile manufacturers said when he was building the Tesla.

Reactions: Breaking Good

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Then what is the point of doing anything? Why create any new things? I mean using your logic why should anybody make a new phone at all?
This is exactly what the automobile manufacturers said when he was building the Tesla.
The point is to make money. If you can’t come up with a better, or at least different, product offering to your audience then you’re a lot less likely to do that.

Tesla cars had a very obvious point of difference to the rest of the market, they were the first worthwhile electric cars, had a vastly improved dash concept and a whole bunch of other cool features.

So, again, what is their point of difference in the phone market? What would make this a good use of your money over an iPhone or a more established Android OEM?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
The point is to make money. If you can’t come up with a better, or at least different, product offering to your audience then you’re a lot less likely to do that.

Tesla cars had a very obvious point of difference to the rest of the market, they were the first worthwhile electric cars, had a vastly improved dash concept and a whole bunch of other cool features.

So, again, what is their point of difference in the phone market? What would make this a good use of your money over an iPhone or a more established Android OEM?

So again I say……using your logic why would any company release any new products? Using your logic no company should release a product unless it was drastically different that anything else on the market?
I mean cmon be real here.
Tesla did a different take on manufacturing cars and presentation. Then they did a different take on user experience in cars. They added features no car manufacturer had before

Maybe they will do the same with mobile phones? We don’t know yet. Then why not use Android? They don’t have to invent a whole new operating system. They can just reskin Android.

If Elon Musk followed your logic the Tesla would not exist.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
So again I say……using your logic why would any company release any new products? Using your logic no company should release a product unless it was drastically different that anything else on the market?
I mean cmon be real here.
Tesla did a different take on manufacturing cars and presentation. Then they did a different take on user experience in cars. They added features no car manufacturer had before

Maybe they will do the same with mobile phones? We don’t know yet. Then why not use Android? They don’t have to invent a whole new operating system. They can just reskin Android.

If Elon Musk followed your logic the Tesla would not exist.
No, using my logic Tesla would very much exist. Read my actual words. They had a point of difference. Im not asking whether you think Tesla needs a point of difference to release a phone because they obviously do, whether that’s the sales model or the price point or the features. I’m asking what their point of difference will be.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, using my logic Tesla would very much exist. Read my actual words. They had a point of difference. Im not asking whether you think Tesla needs a point of difference to release a phone because they obviously do, whether that’s the sales model or the price point or the features. I’m asking what their point of difference will be.
We don't know yet do we? They haven't released a product yet have they? We should encourage creativity from manufacturers not stifle it with negativity.
But using your negative viewpoint...why would Apple or Samsung release a new phone next year? What is their point of difference? We don't know yet. We can see some leaks or rumors but until they release it .....it is just leaks and rumors.

Then using your own words...you did not know the point of difference Tesla would have until they released the Tesla.
Using your own words...we did not know the point of difference the Apple watch would have until Apple released it.
If Apple followed your logic they would never have entered the watch category because ...well it was already an established market. But they did release the Apple watch and it changed the watch space.

Look at what Samsung is doing with foldables. They have changed folding smartphones. We didn't know the point of difference until they actually did it and released a folding smartphone. Now it is evolving and changing the smartphone space.

We don't what a smartphone made by Elon Musk will look like and be different from other smartphones. But given his track record i am excited to see what they can come up with.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
We don't know yet do we? They haven't released a product yet have they?
Isn't speculation the entire point of this site? The word "rumors" is right there in the name. If you don't want to discuss the possible merits of the device then why did you even post this here?

We should encourage creativity from manufacturers not stifle it with negativity.
I'm not stifling creativity, I'm asking a very realistic question.

But using your negative viewpoint...why would Apple or Samsung release a new phone next year? What is their point of difference? We don't know yet. We can see some leaks or rumors but until they release it .....it is just leaks and rumors.
Because they have can make money? Apple has the ever-valuable differentiator of being the only phone to run iOS, while Samsung has their own hardware and software differences that their fans seem to like. They also have the added benefit of being reputable manufacturers, something that Tesla very much is not (at least in the phone market).

Then using your own words...you did not know the point of difference Tesla would have until they released the Tesla.
Using your own words...we did not know the point of difference the Apple watch would have until Apple released it.
If Apple followed your logic they would never have entered the watch category because ...well it was already an established market. But they did release the Apple watch and it changed the watch space.
I don't think you quite grasp how discussion boards work. If you post something, maybe you should be prepared to talk about it. We didn't have to know Tesla's point of difference (although we very much did, because it was the entire purpose of the company), but there still was one. The phone market is pretty saturated now, I think it's fair to question what a new entrant could bring to the table. If you think there's something valuable that Tesla could offer in a phone then maybe suggest it here rather than just trying to nitpick one of the fundamentals of product development.

Look at what Samsung is doing with foldables. They have changed folding smartphones. We didn't know the point of difference until they actually did it and released a folding smartphone. Now it is evolving and changing the smartphone space.
We absolutely knew the point of difference in a rumoured foldable phone the moment it was announced. It folds. Done. At this point, I'm beginning to think you don't know what a point of difference is.

We don't what a smartphone made by Elon Musk will look like and be different from other smartphones. But given his track record i am excited to see what they can come up with.
I'm interested to see what they could come up with, that's why I'm here talking about what potential value they could bring. I just don't see anything realistic that makes this a standout device. Apparently you do but are completely unwilling to actually talk about it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Isn't speculation the entire point of this site? The word "rumors" is right there in the name. If you don't want to discuss the possible merits of the device then why did you even post this here?

I'm not stifling creativity, I'm asking a very realistic question.

Because they have can make money? Apple has the ever-valuable differentiator of being the only phone to run iOS, while Samsung has their own hardware and software differences that their fans seem to like. They also have the added benefit of being reputable manufacturers, something that Tesla very much is not (at least in the phone market).

I don't think you quite grasp how discussion boards work. If you post something, maybe you should be prepared to talk about it. We didn't have to know Tesla's point of difference (although we very much did, because it was the entire purpose of the company), but there still was one. The phone market is pretty saturated now, I think it's fair to question what a new entrant could bring to the table. If you think there's something valuable that Tesla could offer in a phone then maybe suggest it here rather than just trying to nitpick one of the fundamentals of product development.

We absolutely knew the point of difference in a rumoured foldable phone the moment it was announced. It folds. Done. At this point, I'm beginning to think you don't know what a point of difference is.

I'm interested to see what they could come up with, that's why I'm here talking about what potential value they could bring. I just don't see anything realistic that makes this a standout device. Apparently you do but are completely unwilling to actually talk about it.
got it....and by your responses you don't...so have a great Christmas!

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I don’t what? Like I said, if you don’t want to talk about it, why even post it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don’t what? Like I said, if you don’t want to talk about it, why even post it.
Because you changed your POV to suit my responses

I gave you examples what the point would be and how other companies come into a space and make huge differences.

Tesla could do the same thing that is the point of it. Now do you get it? I gave you examples. Yet you ignore them.
You just throw negativity at it to cover a weak position.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wow that video was…something.

The idea that a solar panel that fits on a cellphone is somehow going to be *more* efficient than MagSafe is…something as well.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Because you changed your POV to suit my responses
My point literally hasn’t changed. You can go back and read all my posts if you want, they’re right there.

I gave you examples what the point would be and how other companies come into a space and make huge differences.
But that’s never what I was asking about. What I’m curious about is what Tesla in specific would do to make their phone worthwhile. If you don’t know either, that’s okay, you can just say so.

Tesla could do the same thing that is the point of it. Now do you get it? I gave you examples. Yet you ignore them.
You just throw negativity at it to cover a weak position.
Again, not at all what I asked. I’m aware other companies have made successful products, but this thread is specifically about Tesla’s phone and what it might do to stand out.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
My point literally hasn’t changed. You can go back and read all my posts if you want, they’re right there.

But that’s never what I was asking about. What I’m curious about is what Tesla in specific would do to make their phone worthwhile. If you don’t know either, that’s okay, you can just say so.

Again, not at all what I asked. I’m aware other companies have made successful products, but this thread is specifically about Tesla’s phone and what it might do to stand out.
Like is said you don't get it....
I have given you examples of how other companies have made huge differences in new product spaces. Did you read them? We didn't know what their take on a new product would be until they released them and made a difference.
If you don’t know either, that’s okay, you can just say so.

I have said I don't don't know what a Tesla smartphone will look like. That is the exciting part now isn't it.
Considering what they have done in the car space....it would be exciting to see what they can do in the smartphone space.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Like is said you don't get it....
Yes, I literally said I don’t get what they would do to make this phone stand out. Congrats on reading.

I have given you examples of how other companies have made huge differences in new product spaces. Did you read them? We didn't know what their take on a new product would be until they released them and made a difference.
Again, for like the third time, not at all what I asked. I’ve also addressed all of them.

I have said I don't don't know what a Tesla smartphone will look like. That is the exciting part now isn't it.
Considering what they have done in the car space....it would be exciting to see what they can do in the smartphone space.
Okay, so no use it discussing this any further I guess. I remain skeptical.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
That solar panel built into a phone looks dorky as hell. Efficiency of it would probably be horrible as well, never get any useful charge out of such a tiny panel and leaving a smartphone with battery out to charge in the sun seems like a horrible idea all by itself. A no from me.

Reactions: Breaking Good

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021

Why couldn’t it connect to star link? Using your logic, nothing is worth creating. So should nobody create anything new? It may be pointless to you, but the world doesn’t revolve around you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.