Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Since macOS 11.3 Beta, I have been experiencing problems with the Thunderbolt Bridge I have been using for years between my QNAP NAS and my Mac Pro. It simply isn't working since Beta 3.

I am trying to verify it is a wider problem, I am hoping that someone else can test this out... If you have a NAS with a Thunderbolt connection, especially one of the QNAP ones, can you try setting up a Thunderbolt Bridge?

When it works you direct connect to the NAS using a Thunderbolt cable, and you setup specific IP addresses on both, and then you can mount your NAS shares directly on the desktop. It is significantly faster than Gigabit, and even faster than 10GbE. It is also a "safe" connection, where you can open up for all network services and have redundancy, in addition to the Gigabit connection you probably have between the NAS and the rest of your LAN.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
This is FINALLY sorted out in macOS 11.4 Beta (20F5046g)...

I called Apple last week when the 11.3 RC came out, and this time they actually wanted to listen to what I had to say.

CPGFX

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
How long do you think it will be until they release 11.4? I have the same issue with thunderbolt Bridge not working. (and not being able to see my QNAP server) Not sure i want to do the beta route but if you think its far off then i guess i have to.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have no clue, but if 11.3 Beta was anything to go by, then 11.4 RC is a long ways away.

Not much actually changed in 11.4 Beta 1, so maybe that's a safe version to go to, even if it is Beta. I installed it on my main Mac Pro, and that's a production system - the only issue with that is if I have other software (like Adobe Creative Suite) that acts up, I have to be agile with the truth when I talk to Adobe support...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.