Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
That's a cool page. I got the same results you did, which is good because I thought I had lost some significant hearing in the last few years.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
I am with zim. 19.9 all i could sense it, but could not hear the frequency at a loud level. I heard a click and then a slight ringing tone.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Most speakers are only rated to 20kHz. And that is because the top of the human hearing range is 20kHz. So at 20+kHz your desktop speakers may be producing some kind of sound, perhaps artifacts of the highest pitch they can physically produce.

And those files are mp3s, which is sort of stupid for a hearing test. The ways mp3s work are that they eliminate the high and low frequencies humans cannot hear to give you a smaller audio file. But I guess they are better for cell phones...

If you want a true hearing test, just use Audacity and generate a sine wav at the frequency of your choice, naming that you have good speakers or headphones to test.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hmm. For me they start off getting higher, then get lower again. Only the last one doesn't make any sound.

I have a feeling my iMac speakers aren't the best to do this with :(

EDIT: Just did this using decent headphones and couldn't hear past 14.9. That's living in London and riding a motorbike for you I suppose.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I suck. :(

You are the typical teenager
You can hear the frequency of the mosquito teen repellent - but probably not for much longer!

The highest pitched ultrasonic mosquito ringtone that I can hear is 17.7kHz

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I could hear clearly up to 18.8kHz, but I could somehow "feel" the 19.9 and 21.2 kHz tones. 22.4kHz had nothing coming out of it, as far as I could discern. I was listening with a set of iPod earbuds though...anyone know their range? I suppose it's possible that the earbuds themselves didn't even produce the 22.4kHz tone.

I just turned 20 a few months ago, so it appears my ears are holding up :)

deepy

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
i havent tested it yet but i'm guessing it really cant be THAT accurate depending on the speakers.

i made one of these things 8 or 9 years ago on QBasic - the program made the computer beeper make a higher and higher pitch sound until you couldnt hear the sound anymore at which point you press the spacebar and it tells you how kHz you can hear to...i think it was more fun saying I made it then actually using it lol

skibob1027

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
Illinois
I work in radio and we did this a few weeks ago in one of the production studios - I could only hear up to 18khxz - and even that was really only "sensing" it.

Scottlinux is right, though - using .mp3 files to reproduce these sounds really won't create an accurate depiction of the tone. On top of that, most speakers cannot accurately reproduce tones this high - so unless you have good studio monitors, anything above 18 or 19khxz (if that, even) probably isn't going to be accurate.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
look for a program called Audio Test. I think I got it off the Apple downloads page. It produces a note of any frequency you choose.

I think i can hear 18khz, but i can feel my ears going at 19 and 20. Im 16 and i play bass next to a very violent drummer and a guitarist who doesn't care if he's deaf at 18 yrs.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Scarlet Fever said:
Im 16 and i play bass next to a very violent drummer and a guitarist who doesn't care if he's deaf at 18 yrs.
please learn from my mistakes and get yourself some earlplugs. for about $20USD you can get a pair of non-fitted musicians earplugs. i played in bands for years, sans earplugs, and though i can still hear pretty well compared to most, i've got tinnitus in both ears (and that messes up the high freqs i'm trying to hear).

no **** -- when i was in HS (so many years ago), a local dept store had one of those 35-40kHz motion detector alarms. i could sense it when i got near the store entrance and, if i stayed there for 5 minutes, it made me nauseated.

that means i've lost some 20kHz of sensitivity. bummer.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
zimv20 said:
please learn from my mistakes and get yourself some earlplugs. for about $20USD you can get a pair of non-fitted musicians earplugs.
yeah i have some, but the problem is i got them after i played my first gig. i now wear them religeously!

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Man, I can only hear 16.7kHz. And I'm only 24, I guess its been too many concerts for me. (even though I use earplugs whenever I go)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
simie said:
22.4 Khz contains absolutely no sound.
i just loaded it into pro tools and confirmed that it's a completely flat line. not that my speakers could reproduce that tone, anyway...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm impressed that I could hear 18.8khz. I'm surprised my tinnitus (which sounds like a constant 1k tone in my head) didn't drown it out way before then. I couldn't "hear" 19.9khz, but if felt like someone was jabbing a pencil in my ear. I didn't try any higher 'cause the pain of 19.9 was enough.

Oh, and I second wearing earplugs. I'm pretty sure most of my hearing damage is from mowing the lawn growing up (never used ear plugs) as I've only been to 2 or 3 concerts w/o ear plugs.

Lethal

tara18

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2005
I can only hear up to 14.1 kHz! This seems scary compared to everyone else's results.

I'm 19, by the way.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
tara18 said:
I can only hear up to 14.1 kHz! This seems scary compared to everyone else's results.

I'm 19, by the way.
stop wearing earbuds, or sleeping on runways, whichever you're doing :)

the test isn't horribly scientific, since it doesn't control what kinds of playback systems people are using. e.g. anyone listening with laptop speakers is likely going to be at a disadvantage wrt the higher frequencies.

i'm serious about not using earbuds, though. our ears can handle loud transients well enough, but the way music is compressed these days, continued listening at such close proximity with such constant broadband pressure is really really bad for our ears.

tara18

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2005
well, i've been using stock earbuds for about five years, so those are probably the culprit. i did purchase sony mdr-v300 headphones last week, so that should lessen any future damage. still, you're right, i should consider sleeping on runways less frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.