Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Last time, I made the mistake of imaging iOS7 onto my daily driver, as they say. I won't be making that mistake again.

May I ask what devices you all use for Beta testing? I'm thinking of buying an iPod Touch (5th gen) on eBay but wondering about performance and features/issues I haven't considered. It's, basically, an iPhone without the phone, yes? (I haven't had an iPod since iPhone...)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think most people here, based on the threads, and posts use their main phone.

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
Even though it is expensive, I would recommend using and iPhone 5S. I guess there are refurbished it used ones that are a bit cheaper. The iPhone 5S has the benefit that it currently has the highest amount of users and it should be good to use for at least three years.
I am not that much into development, therefore I can't tell if there are differences.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
I think most people here, based on the threads, and posts use their main phone.

I thought as much and to be fair, the jump from 7 to 8 will presumably be less problematic than 6 to 7. However I have well over a dozen apps which I need on a daily basis and I just can't be bothered risking the loss of any of them.

Even though it is expensive, I would recommend using and iPhone 5S. I guess there are refurbished it used ones that are a bit cheaper. The iPhone 5S has the benefit that it currently has the highest amount of users and it should be good to use for at least three years.
I am not that much into development, therefore I can't tell if there are differences.

It would indeed be expensive. Most of my development is for personal use and is done in my spare time. I hope to publish at some point in 2014 but cost-wise, I would be silly to go and blow my money on another 5S. Alternatively, I would be more than happy with a £150-250 investment in an iPod Touch. I just want to ensure I haven't missed any feature losses from iPhone to iPod.

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
I thought as much and to be fair, the jump from 7 to 8 will presumably be less problematic than 6 to 7. However I have well over a dozen apps which I need on a daily basis and I just can't be bothered risking the loss of any of them.

It would indeed be expensive. Most of my development is for personal use and is done in my spare time. I hope to publish at some point in 2014 but cost-wise, I would be silly to go and blow my money on another 5S. Alternatively, I would be more than happy with a £150-250 investment in an iPod Touch. I just want to ensure I haven't missed any feature losses from iPhone to iPod.

Seems that you have a 5S already, why don´t u use that for testing? Doesn´t really make a difference. If you use it for testing and just want to have another one to be sure everything works an ipod touch 5th gen should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.