Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Hello,

I am a android user looking at iphone..2 questions i have are

1. Google photos: can i set it up to get unlimited (i have pixel 1 so still have the original quality photos)
2. does the google assistant (which i love) app have the same abilities as on pixel? Obviously i know the screen calling wont be there.

i love google assistant and am used to android...but its obvious there are shortcomings in the phone development.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
1. If your account has unlimited subscription then it’ll be unlimited, otherwise it’ll be the default 20GB I think.

2. Yes the google assistance generally works the same way as it is on Android. You just need to open it manually.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
ok,

By off the chance...could call screening work?

how about setting google calenar to default?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
ok,

By off the chance...could call screening work?

how about setting google calenar to default?

Calling the google assistant just like that won’t work due to Apple’s app security stance. Every app lives within its own sandbox so that it can’t access system services or other apps without user consent. Some of the system services are just not accessible to apps. Screen calling is one of those things that will grant access to various part of the system services with just one access rights, so not only now, it probably will never happen unless Apple figures out a secure way to do so.

You can sync google calendar to the iOS calendar, but you can’t make google services as default on iOS.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The IPhone X was apple's first foray into using OLED screens and for some people that screen is an eyeball ripper - headaches and eye strain. Personally I can't look at it. PWM flickering is nasty.
So before you fall in love with it, make sure you can actually look at it.
The 11 Pro for some reason doesn't bother people as much.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
thanks

any experience with plex server app? I can't get the app to recognize my library (tv/movies). my server is running on my macbook, but no luck

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
thanks

any experience with plex server app? I can't get the app to recognize my library (tv/movies). my server is running on my macbook, but no luck

Plex works just fine on my iPhone and iPad. Did you pay for it?! To get access from the mobile apps you need to pay separately.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
I have the free version on my pixel...I use it at times when home to play from my laptop linked to server

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have the free version on my pixel...I use it at times when home to play from my laptop linked to server

Sorry can’t help with that. I had to pay for the apps to access my Plex server from the phone apps.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
so playing around.... iphone x:i like the bigger screen, its smooth, different

cons: google assistant, cant use android auto mod in car

only thing i cant figure out is why group texts appear as individual text

Last edited:

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
The X is getting fairly antiquated these days (limited band support) and reception was poor.

Better to look at the 11 or SE2020 if possible. Or at least the XR.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
only thing i cant figure out is why group texts appear as individual text

Group text only works properly if everyone in the group is using iMessage.

If you have both iOS & Android users in the group then the iOS users use iMessage to receive and respond but the Android users use traditional sms protocol to receive and respond. So your phone can’t merge them together within the group.

Last edited:

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
cant use android auto mod in car

You should be able to use the iPhone equivalent (Carplay), unless your car doesn't support it?

So your phone can’t merge them together within the group.

Very true. OP, if you've got a mixture of Apple and Andriod phone users in a group chat, iMessage won't play nicely for the Andriod users. In my opinion, if you wish to continue the group chat, best if you switch all users to a cross platform app (Whatsapp, Viber, Telegram, Facebook messenger etc). They're free to download, and only take a few minutes to setup and start chatting!

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Very true. OP, if you've got a mixture of Apple and Andriod phone users in a group chat, iMessage won't play nicely for the Andriod users. In my opinion, if you wish to continue the group chat, best if you switch all users to a cross platform app (Whatsapp, Viber, Telegram, Facebook messenger etc). They're free to download, and only take a few minutes to setup and start chatting!

May I also suggest Signal instead of all of those less secure or Facebook owned pests. Signal needs way more traction. The most secure and free cross platform messaging service out there.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
ok thanks..thats a bit of a bummer.

doesn't look like carplay would work as it is a tweak, so not official android auto and i see nothing about carplay.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
may have to use the pixel when i need to use gps on long drives...will miss android auto-was nice in the car.
But not paying $400 to have the real head unit installed in my car.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
may have to use the pixel when i need to use gps on long drives...will miss android auto-was nice in the car.
But not paying $400 to have the real head unit installed in my car.

Shame you can't use carplay in your car. Can you install the phone in a car phone holder?

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
yea could, may just use android for when gps needed for bigger screen

now if i could get siri to load to google assistant when locked...works fine when unlocked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.