Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VickyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2018
I’m running an old Mac with an old OS (Mountain Lion) so I can continue to use Adobe CS5. I’d like to update to Mavericks, but want to check that CS5 programmes work with it. So I’ve made a bootable external drive with Mavericks, and started my Mac with it through Start Up Manager. It all works, however, I can’t access Adobe CS5 as it’s in the Applications folder on my internal hard drive, and Mavericks is directing to the Applications folder on my bootable external drive. I’ve tried dragging and dropping the the application, and opening through Terminal but I just get an error message. I’ve tried it with MS Word as well, and it just opens an installation window. Is there anyway of accessing these non-Mac applications so I can see if they will run on Mavericks?

VickyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2018
Use migration assistant to transfer existing apps / data to your test drive.
Thanks - I just tried that but there's no enough space on my test drive for all the apps (only 16MB - thought that's all I'd need for Mavericks installer!).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

My opinion only, but if your Mac is older and has a platter-based hard drive inside, you should "stay back" at Mountain Lion.

You may find performance to be degraded by Mavericks -- because of the way it handles the Mac's RAM, it put much more "wear and tear" on the hard drive. The OS may feel more like it's "walking" than "running".

Again, my opinion only.

VickyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2018
OP:

My opinion only, but if your Mac is older and has a platter-based hard drive inside, you should "stay back" at Mountain Lion.

You may find performance to be degraded by Mavericks -- because of the way it handles the Mac's RAM, it put much more "wear and tear" on the hard drive. The OS may feel more like it's "walking" than "running".

Again, my opinion only.

Tha
OP:

Again, my opinion only.

Thanks - it's 2011 so should be OK ...???

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Almost sounds as if the OP is trying to put the apps on the installer drive.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The Adobe CS5 installers install more than just the app in the Applications folder so I'm not sure your testing will be valid.

Just ask if anyone knows what is the last macOS version that can run CS5.

VickyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2018
The Adobe CS5 installers install more than just the app in the Applications folder so I'm not sure your testing will be valid.

Just ask if anyone knows what is the last macOS version that can run CS5.

Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.