Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Can you guys confirm me that if I have a NON-jailbroken iPhone who has the ability to tether to a mac or pc, then if I jailbreak the iPad only I could still tether iPhone to iPad? :confused:
Has any of you guys done it?

Since you can tether using WiFi from your iPhone to a Mac or a PC, then you can tether using WiFi to an iPad. No need to jailbreak your iPad.

kyk0

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Since you can tether using WiFi from your iPhone to a Mac or a PC, then you can tether using WiFi to an iPad. No need to jailbreak your iPad.

?? I am confused :confused:
I am quite sure apple prevents tethering to an iPad from an iPhone, and I do not want to jailbreak my iPhone.

My question is: can I tether to a jailbroken iPad with a NON-jailbroken iPhone?

Jxo177

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks for this reminder.... I find the minimum setting, 30%, gives four bars of signal when the two devices are close.

You know I was doing testing on this, I found that for some reason the 30% setting used more battery. Each time I clocked it it seemed that the 30% setting used about 4% more battery per half hour of wifi use. Maybe I should try it again because i don't see how that makes sense at all.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
?? I am confused :confused:
I am quite sure apple prevents tethering to an iPad from an iPhone, and I do not want to jailbreak my iPhone.

My question is: can I tether to a jailbroken iPad with a NON-jailbroken iPhone?

Yes, as has been said several times in the thread, you just need to call ATT (or whoever is your carrier if you are outside the US) and have Tethering added to your plan for the iPhone. For ATT it's an extra $20 a month IIRC and you have to give up the unlimited plan so there are drawbacks in most places. Then Jailbreak your iPad, go to Cydia and install iTether on the iPad and this will allow you to tether a JB iPad to a stock iPhone.

kyk0

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Yes, as has been said several times in the thread, you just need to call ATT (or whoever is your carrier if you are outside the US) and have Tethering added to your plan for the iPhone. For ATT it's an extra $20 a month IIRC and you have to give up the unlimited plan so there are drawbacks in most places. Then Jailbreak your iPad, go to Cydia and install iTether on the iPad and this will allow you to tether a JB iPad to a stock iPhone.

Thank you! :)

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
So you can tether a JB IPad to a non JB iPhone using iTether and tetherMe but what about tethering a JB iPhone to a non-JB iPad or even a macbook or imac?

Use MiWi for wifi tethering all devices or
tetherme for bluetooth or USB tethering of mac/windows machine [cant do non-jb iPad]

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Use MiWi for wifi tethering all devices or
tetherme for bluetooth or USB tethering of mac/windows machine [cant do non-jb iPad]

Thanks for the answers and making the forum function as a forum. Now, when tethering my JB iPhone using itether and tetherme to enable tethering, to my macbook, does AT&T charge me? Do I need a patch?

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
Thanks for the answers and making the forum function as a forum. Now, when tethering my JB iPhone using itether and tetherme to enable tethering, to my macbook, does AT&T charge me? Do I need a patch?

No. You are good to go. Just don't blow whatever data allowance you may have on your AT&T plan.

jmgreen100

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Hi,
It looks like the next update to iOS 4.3 (available on 11th march in UK) will allow the iPhone to generate a wifi hotspur to which you can then use to connect your iPad to ! .....only 2 days to go.

MarioB

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
If I buy MyWi on my iPhone can I get it on my ipod/ipad (like I would be able to with normal app store apps)?

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
@#$%!#$% mywi. Geeze people sure are brainwashed with that overpriced program, or there is a ton of intelliborn corporate reps in this forum.

Tetherme is $1.99 and works great. I tether from my iphone 4 to my ipad to use 3g.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
@#$%!#$% mywi. Geeze people sure are brainwashed with that overpriced program, or there is a ton of intelliborn corporate reps in this forum.

Tetherme is $1.99 and works great. I tether from my iphone 4 to my ipad to use 3g.

No reason to act like a jerk. I use MyWi and find it to be the best option right now (jb AT&T 4.2.1) it creates a hot spot that shows up for all devices that I regularly need to connect with during weekend drives for soccer trips (kids laptops, iPod Touch, soon to be iPad for my wife, and even an xbox 360). The others simply can't get the job done.

4.3 may bring some other opportunities, but I'll evaluate then. If you don't like MyWi, fine. However, I'm far from brainwashed (nor are the many others who use it). You however, seem to be completely blind to it's advantages for some situations.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

hackthatphone said:

I agree. 99% of all people who buy MyWi don't need it. TetherMe and iTether is Much cheaper and uses less battery for the iPad because it uses Bluetooth.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

iPad with iOS 4.3 can pair with any phone supports bluetooh tethering. With 4.3, you don't need JB your iPad and install iTether. All you need is JB your iPhone and enable native tethering with tetherme, no MYWI. works great!

Check this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/wap/GetThread.php?t=1113273

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I don't know why you guys feel the need to pay for any software, especially $20 for MyWi.

PDA Net is free, uses WEP encryption, and creates a Wi-Fi hotspot from your iPhone you can access with a laptop/iPad/whatever. It also supports USB tethering to save battery.

Yeah WEP isn't quite as secure as WPA but you can turn the power way down on the broadcast signal so to actually pick up your signal someone would have to be sitting right next to you.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I am happy to pay a couple of bucks to use bluetooth tethering rather than WIFI due to much better battery life.

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

iPad with iOS 4.3 can pair with any phone supports bluetooh tethering. With 4.3, you don't need JB your iPad and install iTether. All you need is JB your iPhone and enable native tethering with tetherme, no MYWI. works great!

Check this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/wap/GetThread.php?t=1113273

This.

Mess-I-Ah

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Earth
Regarding battery drain using MyWi on the iPhone 4. MyWi has a output power setting that is set by default at 80 percent. This is easily turned down to 35-40 percent and is quite usable if the two devices are within a couple feet of each other and the battery issue then quickly becomes nonexistent.

Since I bought my iPad 2 I've been connecting to MyWi via Bluetooth instead of via WIFI Hotspot. Anybody found this to be any better/worse for battery life?

Since the iPad 2 isn't jailbroken yet, I don't think the ON DEMAND thing really works yet, since that requires MyWi to be installed on the iPad as well, if I understand correctly. Another weird thing is that even when my iPad is "asleep," MyWi continues to upload data. Anybody else notice this?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.