Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xWinDows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Is it possible to tether an iPad Wifi to a PC via USB to provide internet access to my iPad? I asked because my internet access at work is only through PC, no wifi yet.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Is it possible to tether an iPad Wifi to a PC via USB to provide internet access to my iPad? I asked because my internet access at work is only through PC, no wifi yet.

No. Not even jailbreaking would allow this as far as I know. The iPad would need network drivers written for the dock connector instead of wifi or 3g. The OS is known but the CPU and everything else about the iPad are new so nobody outside of Apple knows how to write such drivers.

I have the same problem at my job. No wifi. I just do without. Sounds like you really could use a 3G model.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Not through USB, but if your computer has wifi, you can create an ad-hoc wifi connection from the iPad to the computer and share your internet connection that way.

Chimpware

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007

Yes it is possible to share the wired internet connection from your PC using your PCs wifi to create an adhoc network connection to the iPad. I have tested it and it works using XP. Should be the same for all versions of Windows.

ac4lt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA

As others have said you can accomplish this via internet connection sharing over an ad hoc wifi network. However, many employers, especially larger ones, don't want "rogue" wifi connections into their networks. Alas, I work at a company whose IT policies specifically forbid this.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
As others have said you can accomplish this via internet connection sharing over an ad hoc wifi network. However, many employers, especially larger ones, don't want "rogue" wifi connections into their networks. Alas, I work at a company whose IT policies specifically forbid this.

You can set up a private network for iPad and other wireless device where the iPad DOES NOT get access to the intranetworks.

But yes, you can setup your pc/laptop if you have a wireless adapter installed and create a custom network for internet sharing.

mrj412

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009

I was going to mention this as well. This would be a serious breach of policy at my employer. I doubt getting Internet access on your iPad is worth losing your job.

weenie

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Yes it is possible to share the wired internet connection from your PC using your PCs wifi to create an adhoc network connection to the iPad. I have tested it and it works using XP. Should be the same for all versions of Windows.
Could you please give a summary outline on how to do that ? Thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.