Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
If I were to buy a tethered apple tv would i be able to start it up even if I dont have the ipsw?

also, i have xbmc on my mac. Is streaming movies any better on the apple tv using xbmc because mine is very choppy and freezes 10 sec in.

Not sure if this would do exactly what i get with the movie channels from fios. so figured i'd ask.

thanks

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If the ATV you are buying is a tethered jailbreak, yes you can "boot Tethered" using the jailbreaking tool you don't need the IPSW or SHSHs.

XBMC works great on the Apple TV, however if it is choppy on your computer, chances are it will be bad on the ATV, not because of the ATV or XBMC but for whatever reason is choppy on your computer, it shouldn't be, so it must be a wrong setup, older version, something else that is making your playback slow.

I am not sure what is what you get from the movie channel from your FIOS, but XMBC would stream content that you have locally, it is not a service provider (there are some Addons you can installed to watch internet streams like Hulu, ABC, NBC, Netflix and such)

foe84

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Is there a correct setup i could use? I get cinemax, hbo, showtime, starz and encore with fios but only have it for movies..so i thought i could stream movies from something like icefilms instead.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is there a correct setup i could use? I get cinemax, hbo, showtime, starz and encore with fios but only have it for movies..so i thought i could stream movies from something like icefilms instead.

Discussion about those type of addon are against this forums rules, google will lead you to more appropriated forums where you can get all the info you need.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Untethered ATV2 is rarer, because Apple doesn't sign pre-5.0 OS anymore, and untethered OS 5.0+ isn't available.

Plus with tethered ATV2, you will need to purchase a micro-USB cable yourself, else you would be SOL if ATV2 freezes for whatever reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.