Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I have read that you will not be able to tether the iPad to the iPhone, using the new tethering feature of the iPhone? Does anyone know if this is correct? And please don't respond that "if you jailbreak your iPhone..." I have no desire to jailbreak my iPhone. I just want there to be one last shred of justification for my having bought a 3G iPad. Because if you can truly tether the iPad to the iPhone, then the 3G iPad is really pointless. If you can't tether, it shows AT&T and Apple's greed, but does justify the need for a 3G iPad, unlimited or not.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Tetheing is done via Bluetooth or USB. The ipad cannot accept an Internet connection from either and apple has already said hey won't allow it.

Stardotboy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Manchester, UK
You don't even need to search to see this exact same question posed more than once on page 1 of this forum... anyway...

You're correct that there is not a legit way to tether an iPad to an iPhone - a restriction driven by the commercial decision to route people down the path of buying multiple data plans. In this sense you can sit back smug in the knowledge that you have made the right choice in buying a 3G iPad.

And please don't respond that "if you jailbreak your iPhone..." I have no desire to jailbreak my iPhone.

That's fair enough, do what you like with your phone - however if anyone wants to tether the two devices and not pay twice, this is the way to do it.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Jailbreak + MyWi

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Jailbreak + MyWi

This is what I'm doing.

I understand not wanting to jailbreak, I didn't either, but I've found it to be fairly uncomplicated and unobtrusive.

iMikey1

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
What is the possibility of hacking the carrier settings under OS 4.0 to enable tethering like under 3.1? Can my iPad accept a the 3G signal from my iPhone via the camera connection kit's USB adaptor?

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
This is what I'm doing.

I understand not wanting to jailbreak, I didn't either, but I've found it to be fairly uncomplicated and unobtrusive.

Spirit was STUPID easy!
One click, 5 seconds later, done!:cool:
I was impressed... I always held off from jailbreaking cause of the "hassle" but now its so easy.
Took longer for the phone to restart then it did to jail break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.