Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
I know certain data is shared between apps, but does the contents of texts get shared as well?!?

I do not allow iOS to upload/share/access information for ANY apps to my contacts or any other information that can be prevented from being shared; background app refresh and location services have always been off, microphone is also off for all apps. I am extremely careful, especially with social media's tricky ways. I only have Twitter install on my 7+ running 10.3.3.

In all my years using different iPhones I've never texted, searched, or entered the word BOTOX into any app on any of my devices. Yesterday a friend mentioned BOTOX through iOS's Messages app and today when opening Twitter I was greeted with a BOTOX ad.

So... does Apple allow the contents of a text to be shared with other installed apps?!? It appears they do! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1250.PNG
    IMG_1250.PNG
    851.6 KB · Views: 235

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To be fair, a single anecdotal coincidence doesn't really make for much of something to jump to anything conclusive.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
To be fair, a single anecdotal coincidence doesn't really make for much of something to jump to anything conclusive.

I believe in anecdotal evidence when it comes to medical miracles, not when it comes to social networking and it's sole purpose of harvesting user's data.

Twitter knows what I've "liked" over the years and who I currently follow, none of which is medical related; either their algorithms really suck or MAYBE they are able to get data that Apple has not been honest about; example battery-gate.

I wouldn't assume this is coincidental by any means, especially with all the hub bub about FB at the moment.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe in anecdotal evidence when it comes to medical miracles, not when it comes to social networking and it's sole purpose of harvesting user's data.

Twitter knows what I've "liked" over the years and who I currently follow, none of which is medical related; either their algorithms really suck or MAYBE they are able to get data that Apple has not been honest about; example battery-gate.

I wouldn't assume this is coincidental by any means, especially with all the hub bub about FB at the moment.
Certainly nothing wrong with questioning it, just mentioning that with a single anecdotal instance something non-nefarious, like along the lines of a coincidence, can't really be ruled out.

Given how much the whole privacy/security/encryption aspect of iMessage is touted, it would be fairly unlikely that something like that would be going on in relation to it. Unless this was regular text messaging, in which case it still doesn't seem likely, just that the iMessage-specific aspect of it wouldn't apply.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
Certainly nothing wrong with questioning it, just mentioning that with a single anecdotal instance something non-nefarious, like along the lines of a coincidence, can't really be ruled out.

Given how much the whole privacy/security/encryption aspect of iMessage is touted, it would be fairly unlikely that something like that would be going on in relation to it. Unless this was regular text messaging, in which case it still doesn't seem likely, just that the iMessage-specific aspect of it wouldn't apply.

I can partly agree with you, but I can also see Apple maneuvering themselves towards an "ad company" and encryption means nothing at that point. Ads are currently in games/app which is nice for the developers, but ads are in the App Store and I think will they will eventually make their way everywhere; like icloud.com. I wish there would be a way to prevent apps from sharing any and all data between themselves.

You don't find it odd that I've never typed the word BOTOX into this device, or any device and yet... Twitter shows me a relevant ad for BOTOX?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can partly agree with you, but I can also see Apple maneuvering themselves towards an "ad company" and encryption means nothing at that point. Ads are currently in games/app which is nice for the developers, but ads are in the App Store and I think will they will eventually make their way everywhere; like icloud.com. I wish there would be a way to prevent apps from sharing any and all data between themselves.

You don't find it odd that I've never typed the word BOTOX into this device, or any device and yet... Twitter shows me a relevant ad for BOTOX?
As far as the whole "ad company" part of it goes, that was actually addressed by Tim Cook himself fairly recently:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/28/tim-cook-mark-zuckerberg-comments/

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/06/tim-cook-msnbc-interview/

In terms of finding something odd, sure, something like that can definitely come off as at least a curiosity, which is partly why I mentioned that there's certainly nothing wrong with questioning it (just not necessarily as much there to jump one particular conclusion or another).

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I wonder if your friend is the one that somehow has their message contents open. Then perhaps since they know who it was sent to, they can figure out who to pepper with ads.

There's something going on, though.

Maybe have that same friend message you about a specific company you otherwise never talk about (like Volvo or something) and see if any ads show up for that or similar.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
I wonder if your friend is the one that somehow has their message contents open. Then perhaps since they know who it was sent to, they can figure out who to pepper with ads.

There's something going on, though.

Maybe have that same friend message you about a specific company you otherwise never talk about (like Volvo or something) and see if any ads show up for that or similar.

That's a great idea, and I will post the results.

I am very privacy conscience: vpn, ddg, and deleting Safari history when Safari is necessary to be used. I really do believe Apple is allowing stock iOS apps to share information with 3rd party apps. My scenario is too coincidental to think otherwise.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
That's a great idea, and I will post the results.

I am very privacy conscience: vpn, ddg, and deleting Safari history when Safari is necessary to be used. I really do believe Apple is allowing stock iOS apps to share information with 3rd party apps. My scenario is too coincidental to think otherwise.

Nothing would surprise me, these days.

But it would make more sense if it happened from the other end. It's amazing how connected everything is, especially when someone messages you from a device that's also logged in to Twitter and has all the contacts and everything.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
Nothing would surprise me, these days.

But it would make more sense if it happened from the other end. It's amazing how connected everything is, especially when someone messages you from a device that's also logged in to Twitter and has all the contacts and everything.

I agree everything is connected in some way. I the particular case, my friend does not have a Twitter account; therefore no contacts are syncing via twitter.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I agree everything is connected in some way. I the particular case, my friend does not have a Twitter account; therefore no contacts are syncing via twitter.

You aren't using a 3rd party keyboard, by chance? Those also can collect data.

I suspect the ways in which it's all interconnected are far deeper than I know, and perhaps than I would like to. o_O

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
You aren't using a 3rd party keyboard, by chance? Those also can collect data.

I suspect the ways in which it's all interconnected are far deeper than I know, and perhaps than I would like to. o_O
No third party hardware, just my 7+. I'm not even signed into any devices or iTunes on a computer, this clearly on my 7+.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
No third party hardware, just my 7+. I'm not even signed into any devices or iTunes on a computer, this clearly on my 7+.

Sounds fishy. I'd try experimenting with it with a few contacts. Choose an obscure but advertisable subject for each and see if any similar stuff shows up in ads.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
Over the past few days I have received NO ads or In Case You Missed or Suggestions. Weird as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.