Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I just bought a new rMBP and used migration assistant to transfer info from my iMac. On my iPhone I can only enable text message forwarding to one computer, either the iMac or the MacBook. Has anyone else run into this issue and know how to fix it?

seanthedennis

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2015
I am not sure, but I recommend using Pushbullet. It offers the same features as continuity, but much more :)

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Works fine for me with MBP, iMac, iPad all able to send and see message sent via the iPhone. Make sure iMessage and Facetime are set to the same email address and the iPhone's phone number. If necessary log everything out, log the phone in first, then the other devices. As you log each one in it should become available to be selected on the iPhone, then give you a code to enter on the device and you should be good to go.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I followed this tutorial http://www.richimages.net/?p=6685 and I'm finally seeing both computers on iPhone. The only thing I had to do different was a hard restart on my iPhone after the steps, then set iMessage to initiate new messages from my phone number, not an email address. Once I did that everything appears to be working.

peteraddison

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2017
I've managed to get two computers going, but every time I try to add a third, it replaces one of the other two. Very frustrating when you have home office, professional office and macbook. Any further advice would be appreciated.

I followed this tutorial http://www.richimages.net/?p=6685 and I'm finally seeing both computers on iPhone. The only thing I had to do different was a hard restart on my iPhone after the steps, then set iMessage to initiate new messages from my phone number, not an email address. Once I did that everything appears to be working.

Reactions: vsc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Are you using iMessage? They sync automatically anywhere you are signed in to iCloud. I gave my old computer to my kids and they kept getting my messages there until I signed out. I don't forward them, they just follow my Apple ID wherever I'm signed in. But maybe you don't mean iMessage (and I get texts from non iPhone people that still sync through iMessage).

peteraddison

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2017
Are you using iMessage? They sync automatically anywhere you are signed in to iCloud. I gave my old computer to my kids and they kept getting my messages there until I signed out. I don't forward them, they just follow my Apple ID wherever I'm signed in. But maybe you don't mean iMessage (and I get texts from non iPhone people that still sync through iMessage).
I wasn't specific enough. I meant sms forwarding from iPhone onto the Mac. My text message forwarding one the iPhone shows 2 devices (two desktop computers) but I can't add a third. I did have a third device on there (one of my iPads) but never can get 3 computers. Every time I connect the third computer it simply replaces one specific one of the others. Having read the thread above, I think I imported the profile from my macbook to my new iMac, and maybe that's the reason why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.