Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When I get a text message in the notification banner and I use 3D Touch to reply directly from the notification, I can’t scroll down to the latest sent/received texts.

Is this a known bug?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No. It is designed in this way to prevent random people from viewing your message history from lock screen.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
No. It is designed in this way to prevent random people from viewing your message history from lock screen.
I’m talking about when the phone is open and unlocked. If I’m on, for example, safari, and I get a text which pops up in the notification banner and I reply directly from the notification, I can’t scroll down to the bottom where the latest portion of the text message is. Therefore, I’m not sure how to reply because I can’t read the last received text without opening the full text app. Besides, how can it be by design for security if they’d be able to read some portions of the message anyway?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’m talking about when the phone is open and unlocked. If I’m on, for example, safari, and I get a text which pops up in the notification banner and I reply directly from the notification, I can’t scroll down to the bottom where the latest portion of the text message is. Therefore, I’m not sure how to reply because I can’t read the last received text without opening the full text app. Besides, how can it be by design for security if they’d be able to read some portions of the message anyway?
Ahh, my bad. I thought you were mentioning the message reply when the phone is locked. For the issue you described in this post, I don’t pay too much attention to it and do not notice much. As for “security” thing, I think the idea is “you should not see what’s happening before, but you should be able to see what’s happening right now”.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ahh, my bad. I thought you were mentioning the message reply when the phone is locked. For the issue you described in this post, I don’t pay too much attention to it and do not notice much. As for “security” thing, I think the idea is “you should not see what’s happening before, but you should be able to see what’s happening right now”.
No worries. Thanks for a reply though

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Don't think it's a bug, just the way it is. Similar to 3D touch on a web link: only get the start/top of the page.

Kinda like a preview image in Mac but for iOS. A hint to possible context.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Don't think it's a bug, just the way it is. Similar to 3D touch on a web link: only get the start/top of the page.

Kinda like a preview image in Mac but for iOS. A hint to possible context.

It’s scrollable, but only up. When I try to scroll down, it springs back. Plus you can reply from it so it’s definitely more than just a preview. Next text I get, I’ll do a screen recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.