Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Warning this is me venting about Apple.

So I just switched to an iPhone from Android. All of my family is still on Android. I got a message another way from a friend asking why I hadn't answered a text. I never got the text. I did some testing with my old phone / a digits sim from T-Mobile. Turns out the Google SMS app is defaulting all contacts to use RCS and Apple won't accept them from what I can tell. If he goes into the app and details he can toggle a setting to only use sms/mms messaging. Before the change it showed in message history as "Chatting with". After the change it is "Texting With" and user. After the change messages come through to my iPhone. Here is another issue. There is a way to do texting on a computer paired with your phone via messages . google . com You pair it to a phone, and you can text as if using the phone. Apparently even after setting the contact to text/sms only if texting to my iphone number it defaults to the RCS chat feature and ignores the sms/mms text setting. So impossible to use that web feature. As a side vent I have to wait until I get a new MBP before I can text with my iPhone from a computer and not just do it in a web browser like Android.

I can't ask every person I know that if they are using the Google SMS app they need to turn the toggle switch for them to message me. If Apple doesn't address this soon, I may have to return the iPhone. I don't want to do that because I am mostly happy with the change to iOS.

Anybody else have this issue?
Any idea if Apple with resolve this issue?

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
This is odd. I switch back and forth between android and ios all year and this doesn't affect me.

The feature should just resort to SMS when either a Internet connection isn't present or if the user doesn't have the messaging features.

Never heard of it working this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.