Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
In the past week or maybe the past month, my ability to text an Android phone has become very problematic. Even just simple text messages without any attachments fail about 75% of the time when I send it from my Mac or my iPad. I have not noticed a problem if I send from my iPhone but I rarely actually text with my iPhone directly so it is hard to tell.

I can "Try Again" and it may go through on the second try or it may take three or four tries. Sometimes I just give up.

AND... I've been told from one Android user in particular that they get failures to send back to me often.

To repeat: this isn't a hard failure because most of the time I can get the message to go through after retrying it several times.

Is anyone else having these types of problems? Any ideas of what might be going on?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
That's common since SMS/MMS messages rely on your iPhone's cellular connection to send them as it's the nature of those protocols. iMessage sends it's info using your data connection. Additionally this why some sync issues arise between devices with it comes to SMS. If I'm sending to someone with an Android phone I use my cell phone in order to not have any issues. Check out the link below for more details.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
I just got a failure when sending from my iPhone. I turned off WiFi and it still failed. I then went to Settings => Messages => Send as SMS and turned it off and two out of two messages (not a big sample set) worked. One from my iPhone with WiFi still off and one from my Mac.

I vaguely recall turning that on recently thinking it would be more robust. Perhaps not?

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
I have experienced delays up to 24 hours when sending and receiving text messages to and from Android phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.