Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Del Rei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
Hi there.

I had a problem in my iPhone speaker and tried a lot of things (logoff iCloud and reset my settings). None of them solve my problem and now my Text Replacement is gone. Also all my playlists on Music app...

The Text Replacement is okay on my iMac and iPad. So, I had to recreate manually some of them in my iPhone... The weird thing is that all these new replacement on the iPhone were synced on my iMac and iPad again... And now they are duplicated in the iMac and iPad. And my iPhone keep missing all the others.

I did some test now... When I create a new text replacement in my iPhone it almost instantly appears on my iMac. But I can't transfer the entire list from iMac to iPhone........

Any idea...? I tried to logoff/login again in the iCloud, restarted the phone... Nothing.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you don’t have too many, you could add an extra character or number to each replacement to update it and see if they then update on the other device.
If they do — then delete that extra character again and hopefully all the devices will sync again.
Just guessing.

Del Rei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
If you don’t have too many, you could add an extra character or number to each replacement to update it and see if they then update on the other device.
If they do — then delete that extra character again and hopefully all the devices will sync again.
Just guessing.
Thanks, but I do have a lot of replacement...
Would not be easy to recreate everything......

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Thanks, but I do have a lot of replacement...
Would not be easy to recreate everything......

Ive had this issue (on/off) over the past 4yrs, and in the last 6month TR was completely broken. Alot of ppl suggest the obvious things (update soft/restart/hard reboot/login-out of appleID/+TR/edit a TR/etc). —none of which worked for me.

I found this to help (in my case all devices were updating BUT my iPhone)

• go to the device you know TR is saving/working (for me it was easiest on my Mac)
  • open system 'settings'/keyboard/TR
  • Highlight/"select all" TR
  • export (right click or drag 'selected' to desktop) —a plist file is created from the export
  • Now drag that created text/plist file back into TR settings window (my Mac wouldnt recognize the .plist file for a finder import- but it did work dragging the file back into the TR window)
  • All TRs were merged and updated. They are now visible across all my appleID devices

Theres alot of buggy things now across the OS/iOS ecosystem. what use to 'just work' is now a hodgepodge of un-mac-like maneuvers to do simple tasks/settings. I wish Apple would spend more time streamlining the OS ecosystem instead of the endless banal development of emojis and personalizing your contacts with pics.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.