Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
EDIT: sent them proof of purchase and all fixed now. They gave me a code so i could activate it on a non-catalina device

tldr; bought a new mac. Had to activate on new mac but didnt want to upgrade to catalina. Tried it on ipad, offer disappeared and went straight to payment

appletvbaitnswitch.PNG

Last edited:

saudor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Got back from apple support. Apparently, my offer was revoked because i used my ipad and not my macbook. So it's gone forever. This new apple is really impressive /s

Lesson to be learned: if you bought a 4" iphone SE, watch it on that tiny screen! If you ever decide to watch on an actual TV, offer becomes invalid.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I activated it with my Apple TV and it worked fine?

Both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 6S I bought in 2019 qualified...

If there's one complaint I have with ATV+ it's the lack of titles so far, and the fact they all stop at 10-episodes. I grew up and have been accustomed to shows lasting 21-26 episodes per season so the wait time for the next really irks me. Netflix also pulls this stuff and you sit a year plus for another 10-episodes I'm done in a day or two. Encouraging binge watching they say...bah!

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I activated it with my Apple TV and it worked fine?

Both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 6S I bought in 2019 qualified...

Looking at OP's signature I doubt he bought an iPad Air 2 or iPad 2 in 2019. ie, he used an ineligible device to try to claim the offer and now can't use an eligible device to claim the offer - that is a little odd tbh.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Looking at OP's signature I doubt he bought an iPad Air 2 or iPad 2 in 2019. ie, he used an ineligible device to try to claim the offer and now can't use an eligible device to claim the offer - that is a little odd tbh.

What about the 2019 MBP in his signature?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
What about the 2019 MBP in his signature?

Apparently, my offer was revoked because i used my ipad and not my macbook

OP already addressed that. It's the eligible device i referred to that he says he can't now use to claim the offer.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011

This is basically it. Honestly it makes no sense to me either. But having talked with multiple support staff, i had to upgrade my 2019 MBP to catalina (i didn’t since i still need to use 32 bit apps) and use that device to claim the offer.

So i figured it was tied to my apple ID and used the Air 2 to claim it as the button was there(it was already on 13 but judging from support documents, even ios 12.3 would have been sufficient). Then I get the error message asking me to start paying immediately (with no trial). After that, the button disappeared and i get the same response from multiple staff that i cannot claim it with any other device.

I escalated the case to a senior tech and they said the 90 days starts counting down as soon as i submit the order (despite many sources saying 90 days after device activation). Since the mac took almost a month (build to order) to ship and reach me, the 90 days are now up and offer has expired.

For science, i created a new catalina partition on the mac, and same results. The button is of course now completely gone so i guess the offer has been deleted from my account. While apple tv+ is pretty crap and i probably wont miss it, it’s a really crap move to require it to be claimed on a new device only or it will just go away permanently.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
How does one even install the TV app on an iPad 2 to even attempt to redeem the offer? (it last got updated to iOS 9)

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
How does one even install the TV app on an iPad 2 to even attempt to redeem the offer? (it last got updated to iOS 9)

One doesn't.
[automerge]1581951023[/automerge]
the 90 days are now up and offer has expired.

For science, i created a new catalina partition on the mac, and same results.

Presumably you did this after speaking to tech support, in which case it's not really "for science". No amount of new installs would send you back inside the 90 day limit. You'd need a genuine time machine rather than Apple's backup solution to fix this one...

Reactions: jdogg836
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.