Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanveengames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Not a damn clue.

When you're at the end of the file, at the bottom of the window, hitting enter doesn't scroll the cursor into view, leaving you to type blindly. Also, when opening a slightly larger text file (120kb), hitting CMD+down arrow no longer scrolls to the bottom of the document. It scrolls to wherever it is done with loading, which is useless for me, as that will be like 30% of the way down. I need to press it four or five times to get to the bottom of the document. None of these problems were present before updating to macOS 11...

Can anyone reproduce these issues? What could have caused plain text editing to be so buggy now?

BradleyRoss

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2018
Philadelphia, PA, USA
My experience with typing to the end of the window seemed to be that scrolling occurred when the line being typed was completely invisible.

According to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236, Command + down arrow should take you to the bottom. I used a lorem ipsum generator ( https://loremipsum.io/generator/?n=99&t=p ) to create a file a little over a half-megabyte in size and command + down arrow only moved the cursor half-way down. It appears that this does not occur when the document is edited but only when it is being read from file. Also, after you have gone to the end of the file, subsequent uses of command + down arrow will take you to the bottom.

It also appears that the documents always appear as new tabs rather than new windows. However, you can grab the tab and move it out of the window to put it in it's own window in the same way as Safari.

As mentioned in the test block, Apple needs to make changes to how bugs are reported and handled. One possibility would be to assign volunteers to various applications so that bug reports can be filtered before arriving at Apple. I'm also wondering how many of these problems are left over from the Catalina release, which left a very bad taste in my mouth as did the previous iOS release.

As bugs go, this one doesn't seem as bad as some others I have seen. You can still use the cursor bar to get to the bottom of the document. It might be an attempt to prevent you from trying to read a multi-gigabyte file into the system. It should be possible to fix this by reading the file size when you open the file and make sure that that is used as the end of file.

Attachments

• LoremIpsum.txt
    527.3 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: vanveengames

vanveengames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Not a damn clue.
I track manual logs in TextEdit, or at least used to, until I updated. It involves entering data manually on a new line, at the end of the document, which is now invisible. Seems like this new 2020 operating system wants to emulate a typewriter, but instead of pushing the slide back, you have to manually scroll down after every enter.

@BradleyRoss Thank you for confirming, that's the exact behaviour I also experience. The file I use is 120kb, so 130 000 less than my system capacity. Portecting against loading large files is okay, but the margin needs to be a lot more relaxed. I fully agree with a better system for bug reporting.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
There are more bugs in TextEdit.

1. Pasting something into the window will take you to the top of the document.

2. Erasing something will also take you to the top of the document.

3. Searching doesn't hilite the first instance properly.

It is nothing but appalling that these kinds of bugs are present in a release version.

Reactions: cfdlab

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I see these problems too.

Many third party apps I use have their gui messed up.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
In Catalina I used to open TextEdit and it would show me immediately the window of the text. Now in Bug Sur in shows me this whole thing, which is a waste of time. I don't need TextEdit to be stored in iCloud and I don't need to choose a new document, as opening the app used to mean a new document. How can I solve this? ?

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 19.16.13.png

vanveengames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Not a damn clue.
Hand't noticed that change, but it's indeed bad. It's the kind of app you might use to just write something down, and that experience should be 1) write it down 2) save it somewhere. I have looked in the settings and options, I couldn't find a way to get the old behaviour back.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Everything seems to have been fixed in BS 11.1.
But adding two new bugs:

1. Paste into new text document: nothing except last line is rendered until you scroll
2. Save dialog is tiny and doesn't remember if you make it bigger (although this seems to be system wide)

Search in document is still buggy. It may not find an instance until you hit next/ctrl-g.

Utterly amazing that such bugs can exist and slip past QA. This is the most basic functionality in the most basic of apps, stuff that should just work 100% all the time no matter what.

Reactions: chinchillas

vanveengames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Not a damn clue.
Can confirm, BS 11.1 did fix the command down arrow feature. In a 100kb plus file, typing at the end is SUPER slow now though, 0.1-0.2 seconds of delay before letters appear. I can also confirm the now broken paste into new document render bug. What's worse, it's not that it's "fixed" once you scroll a bit, scrolling up and down near the end can make everything except the last line disappear again. This bug also occurs without pasting anything, just sitting and scrolling near the end of a document can cause it to derp.

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
Yeah. A little testing revealed that these old bugs were replaced by altogether new ones. Un-effing-believable. I returned to using TextEdit from Catalina.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
But adding two new bugs:

1. Paste into new text document: nothing except last line is rendered until you scroll
2. Save dialog is tiny and doesn't remember if you make it bigger (although this seems to be system wide)

Search in document is still buggy. It may not find an instance until you hit next/ctrl-g.

Utterly amazing that such bugs can exist and slip past QA. This is the most basic functionality in the most basic of apps, stuff that should just work 100% all the time no matter what.
I don't use much the functions you mention, but at least it's functional again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.