Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordscar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, everyone! TextEdit was experiencing some difficulties and in an effort to fix them, I [incorrectly] followed instructions I found on the internet. I ended up deleting Windows Office Compatibility.rtf in FontCollections in Library. All my TextEdit documents that were previously rich text are now plain text. I thought going back in the Time Machine and retrieving it would work. When I did, I opened the Windows Office Compatibility.rtf document. It was a TextEdit file in the plain text format. Before I deleted it, it would say it needed a specific application to open, and I used TextEdit. All my other TE files were the same too. I tried copying and pasting text from files onto new documents and saving them as "Rich Text" and "Rich Text with Attachments" but when I reopen it afterwards, it's still in plain text. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Have you tried opening Preferences in Text Edit and setting it to "rich text" ...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.