Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Hello,
I've seen some post here and on reddit and across the internet about the problem but none of the given solution helped.
Usually someone had TextEdit or some documents connected to it in System Preferences - User Accounts - Login Items.
Not my case. I have no idea why it would launch. It hadn't happened before. Maybe a month or two or something like that. You know you rarely have to reboot your Mac so I can't really pinpoint when exactly this behavior has started.
Swear to god, nothing even close to that in Login Items. If needed then I can post a screenshot.
MBP 2012, Mavericks

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
This is odd, I don't think I've seen it before. Just to get the obvious out of the way, I assume "Reopen windows when logging back in" is unchecked? Is there anything about TextEdit in the console after startup?

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
@Wowfunhappy No "Reopen windows".
Not sure where exactly to look for in the Console.

Sent log in PM

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Gah, didn't realize I answered in PM instead of the thread. I like to keep information public for future users where reasonable.

As I said in PM, another thought—can you try deleting Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.TextEdit.savedState and/or Library/Containers/com.apple.TextEdit/Data/Library/Saved Application State? Maybe something got stuck.

Last edited:

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
@Wowfunhappy ~/Library/Saved Application State - this folder I have locked on purpose so nothing creeps in there by chance so it's empty.
However the second one you mentioned exists and has some data in it. I'm deleting it and will report here. Thanks!

upd. First I deleted that and emptied the trash. Obviously, I zipped it upfront just to have a backup. I emptied the trash and rebooted. The folder and its contents restored themselves and I had TextEdit open again on restart. Then I decided to lock the folder (~Library/Containers/com.apple.TextEdit/Data/Library/Saved Application State) and rebooted again. Althought this time the folder was empty and locked it wouldn't stop TextEdit from launching or reboot. At the moment I'm not sure as to what else should I try.

Please let me know if you need any more logs from Console or elsewhere.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Yeah I'm pretty out of ideas. You could check what plists exist in Library/LaunchDaemons and Library/LaunchAgents (in all versions of the Library) to see if there's anything that mentions TextEdit. But I don't know how something like that would end up there.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Thanks, I'll check that too. No idea what's going on. I'll try to play with Containers folder as well, lock or delete including folders one by one. And I'll also check the Launch Daemons/Agents.
Thank you very much, I'll report here whether anything of suggested decisions have worked.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Library/LaunchDaemons -

com.bombich.cchelper.plist
com.corecode.UnintallPKGDeleteHelper.plist
com.radiosilenceapp.nke.plist

~/Liibrary/LaunchAgents -

wowfunhappy.ChromiumLegacyUpdater.plist

I still have not experimented with the folders mentioned before, I believe I'll take care of it tonight. It's early morning here right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.