Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Whenever I connect my iPhone XS Max to CarPlay and select Messages, text threads show up from years ago (One text thread has a date of 1/1/99). This only happens on Carplay. The text message threads are not on my iPhone or any other of my Apple devices. Most text threads showing in CarPlay are from people with Androids. There is no option to delete them in CarPlay.

Anyone else experience this issue?

This has been happening now since I got my iPhone X in 2017. I am now on the XS Max and I have the same issue. I even set up my XS Max as a new device and yet, texts from Android users still show up in CarPlay.

Reactions: insocal

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Searching the internet I found lots and lots of reports of exactly the same problem...old deleted texts showing up in messages in CarPlay.

The best explanation I saw was that deleted texts aren't actually deleted on an iPhone, the pointer to it is removed but the message remains in a cache. There's a bug in CarPlay which makes it expect at least 10 messages. If there are fewer it'll raid the cache to fill up the number of texts displayed to 10.

I gave it a test. My wife is much tidier about deleting texts and only had 3 messages. When I connected her phone up to CarPlay, the 3 messages were there plus 7 which had been deleted on the iPhone. The phantom messages weren't even the 7 most recently deleted. They looked to be random old messages.

The type of texts, iMessage vs. SMS, didn't seem to make any difference as to what was grabbed from the deleted cache.

As best I can tell there's no way to clear the message cache in iOS although there appears to be plenty of 3rd party apps.

Reactions: insocal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.