Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepItSecret

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Guys, please welcome a TextSniper. It’s a macOS app that helps extract text from images, PDFs, slide, videos, and even Zoom meetings. The speed, accuracy, and ease of use are just phenomenal.

TextSniper-how-it-works (640x360).gif

TextSniper brings a fresh new take on text recognition (OCR), and helps solve the common problem of retyping text that is un-copyable or non-selectable. Its recognizes English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Portuguese, and Chines languages.

Moreover, TextSniper can convert text into speech on the fly, which can be helpful for people with dyslexia or visually impaired. Also, reads QR and barcodes.

100% privacy-focused. All data processed on a device, and not require an internet connection.

BigSur and Apple silicon M1 Mac’s ready. Available to download at Mac App Store, on the website or Setapp (free for 7 days).

About me
My name is Valerijs. I am an indie developer. TextSniper is my first app released in 2020. I hope you will find TextSniper useful and I will be grateful for any feedback.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Nice. Just tried it. Very quick and easy to use. I often want to pull some text out of images or from apps that don't make it easy to grab the text. I've used OCR in other programs that do it but it's often a convoluted process and they are not as easy to use as this.

Good job on this app.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectronGuru

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I've tried to use Apple Notes because they say it does OCR but I've never figured out how to make that work. I have also used PDFpen, but that requires converting to a pdf and then opening it in PDFpen and doing a secret handshake to get it to do OCR.

This is much easier

CHNO-Chris

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Herts, UK
Awesome app! I use this regularly when clients send me screenshots to extract error messages and/or serial numbers. Also useful for people over a certain age to be able to obtain a serial number (written in teeny tiny lettering on the bottom of a Mac) by snapping a photo!

Reactions: ElectronGuru

KeepItSecret

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I know I don't have a lot of use for this and likely wouldn't buy it but I'm disappointed I can't get the trial without entering a credit card number.
Thank you for your feedback, Brian. Actually, you can try TextSniper via Setapp. You will get a 7-day trial. No credit card is required. Plus you can explore additional 200+ amazing apps for coding, writing, design, etc.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
Very useful app and definitely worth the price. I have to copy and paste text from PDFs, websites, etc. regularly and removing the formatting/font was always a pain. TextSniper resolves these problems and 9/10 accurate in what it copies. I'm rather choosy with the apps I buy, but this one is definitely worth it if you do a lot of copying and pasting of text. I have recommended this app to other people as I was very impressed in how useful it is.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@KeepItSecret

Hi Valerijs, does (or will) Textsniper support scanning of multi-page PDFs? I'm sometimes scanning articles or books using Image Capture and would like to be able to OCR the text.

Thank you in advance
Philip

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This is one of those little apps that solves a problem perfectly and with a bare minimum of friction.

Yesterday I stole a little text off a screen share someone was doing on Zoom, just to save myself the trouble of retyping the thing in my notes. Perfect.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
One thing I like about Text Sniper over Apple's Live Text is that Text Sniper can capture from anything on the screen immediately. Live Text only works on images and it sometimes isn't available when the image first appears. I sometimes will capture text from a zoom session where someone is sharing their screen. Text Sniper makes that easy with one action. with Live text, I'd need to capture the screen as an image and then capture the text from that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.