Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertMartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Hi
I have now returned my thrird PB 17" because of a flikering of the screen. And all new PB 17" I have seen in shops have the same problem. When the PB turns into sleep mode, the TFT starts flikering every few seconds (best seen in a dark room) starting in the top right corner. Has any body else noticed that problem? Any solutions, since Apple keeps telling me, I am the only one with the problem (with 3 new PB in 1 month)
Greetings Rob

davebl

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Arkansas
I have a 15" brand new (1.67ghz Hi-res) powerbook and I believe it's doing the same thing. My display will constantly flicker between what appears to be the current brightness and perhaps one or two settings lower. I have tried turning off the lighted keyboard, turning off airport, bluetooth, etc (might be a power consumption problem). The only thing I have found to fix it is when plugged in, I turn the brightness down 3 bars from full. No flicker yet.

This just started the other day too. I'm going to go ahead and call apple with the problem to get it in before my warranty is up.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
This is most likely not a defect in your screen. This happened about 6 months back to powerbooks. My screen would 'flicker' or change from one brightness to the next and back. (Very Annoying! :mad:) It was a known issue by Apple and it was fixed in the next Mac OS update as well as documented. I am guessing this is probably the case again. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call and complain or ask though.

Since you said it just started the other day though that is a little puzzling though.

Also this seems to better answer davebl's question. As for you Robert, I'm not sure what problem you are having.

davebl

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Arkansas
My powerbook is about 2 months old. I got it the day after the hi-res 15" came out.

I'm waiting on a software update, but I'm going to email Apple tonight.

Thanks for the input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.