Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Lots of people defending the decision that was made, because Apple wants you to take a step back and validate what you want to kill from memory before actually doing so.. like you cant do both in one fell swoop of a swipe...

So much for that idea :D

That was an annoyance that was short sighted and fortunately, that was short lived. I did without it using a jailbreak tweak and it had been a blessing

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Lots of people defending the decision that was made, because Apple wants you to take a step back and validate what you want to kill from memory before actually doing so.. like you cant do both in one fell swoop of a swipe...

So much for that idea :D

That was an annoyance that was short sighted and fortunately, that was short lived. I did without it using a jailbreak tweak and it had been a blessing
Apple might have very well had some particular intention behind it, but perhaps decided that it didn't work out as well as they had imagined. Something that happens here and there.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Worst decision ever and had me on the edge of returning the X. Its reversal is the main reason I'm running 12 as dd.

Reactions: thadoggfather

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Apple should have stuck with it. I really don't see why it should be so easy to force quit app.

Imagine if hitting the red circle on a Mac app just force quit it?

If users want a way to quickly clear apps, then maybe that ability to quickly swipe to dismiss apps from multitasking screen should exist, but it shouldn't force quit them. Maybe have force quitting buried deeper?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Apple should have stuck with it. I really don't see why it should be so easy to force quit app.

If users want a way to quickly clear apps, then maybe that ability to quickly swipe to dismiss apps from multitasking screen should exist, but it shouldn't force quit them. Maybe have force quitting buried deeper?

I mean but you have
To invoke the multitask switcher and swipe up, which is drastically different than swipe
Horizontal to go between apps

I think it has sufficient user validation without it

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Pressing Command-Q on the keyboard is rather instant to quit an app on the Mac, for example. And pressing an "X" button in Windows has been quitting/closing apps for a long time.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Pressing Command-Q on the keyboard is rather instant to quit an app on the Mac, for example. And pressing an "X" button in Windows has been quitting/closing apps for a long time.

That's true. But is quitting an app the same as force quitting it? Genuinely unsure there.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
You close apps that often? For what purpose?

Habit. I go back to the main screen, open app switcher and swipe it away. It’s just my thaaang. Often I go back to the very same app a few seconds later. It’s kinda stupid. Usually rotate between insta, Twitter, iMessage, WhatsApp and repeat

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Habit. I go back to the main screen, open app switcher and swipe it away. It’s just my thaaang. Often I go back to the very same app a few seconds later. It’s kinda stupid. Usually rotate between insta, Twitter, iMessage, WhatsApp and repeat
To be fair it's actually worse for your device and use basically if it's done like that in that context.

Reactions: profets

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
To be fair it's actually worse for your device and use basically if it's done like that in that context.

It would help if they would add like a slight shadow or anything on active apps to see if they actually continue to run. Damn snapchat, WhatsApp for example seem to misuse it

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I can say that I always used to close every app all the time, but since the iPhone X I only close apps like Facebook, Google Maps, etc (the apps that can sometimes suck up your battery in the background). So it actually did do the job for me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.