Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dallas Pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I'm a newbie so forgive me if this is a topic that's been done to death in the past.

I've cancelled my order on the Apple store for an iPad Air 2, and was thinking about ordering it through AT&T as they're offering $100 if you sign a 2 year contract. The device fee to add it to my mobile share plan is $10 either way, contract or not, and I was planning on adding it to my existing mobile share plan.

So is there any reason NOT to order from AT&T? I could basically get a 'free' upgrade to the 128GB version instead of the 64GB version I had ordered.

Will these iPads come with the Apple sim from AT&T (do they usually come in the original Apple packaging?) or do AT&T open them and insert their sim?

I'm not too worried about waiting an extra week or two as I've managed until now with my iPad 2 bought on launch week!

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Don't know about the simm but you are correct about the $100. discount. I got that when I purchased my iPad 4 and will be doing the same for the Air 2. I'm going to be adding it to my account anywhere so it's the easiest discount.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
From what I understand you can get this discount no matter where you bought it if you bring it into an AT&T store to add it to a 2 year contract plan. If you do it after the fact it is a bill credit.

Dallas Pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
From what I understand you can get this discount no matter where you bought it if you bring it into an AT&T store to add it to a 2 year contract plan. If you do it after the fact it is a bill credit.

Very interesting! Would be a great combined with a Black Friday deal then!

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Wow, that's really good to know. Couple this with the rumor that the 10GB Mobile Share Date plan can be doubled to 20GB if you call up and threaten to cancel, and I just might be willing to give up my iPhone Unlimed data.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
As far as I know, it has to be purchased through AT&T to get the discount. Also, can't be combined with their 20 month payment plan.

jcastillo20059

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Wow, that's really good to know. Couple this with the rumor that the 10GB Mobile Share Date plan can be doubled to 20GB if you call up and threaten to cancel, and I just might be willing to give up my iPhone Unlimed data.
Coming from an ATT employee, I haven't seen that done so far but they do have the double data promotion going on for the month of October, I was on the 10GB plan and I upgraded to the 15GB and with doing that I now have 30GB for the price of 15GB... All in all its an amazing promotion.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Coming from an ATT employee, I haven't seen that done so far but they do have the double data promotion going on for the month of October, I was on the 10GB plan and I upgraded to the 15GB and with doing that I now have 30GB for the price of 15GB... All in all its an amazing promotion.

It's not an advertised promotion, but according to this thread, it seems fairly easy to obtain: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1806590/

Have you heard of getting the iPad promotion if you do a 2 year contract without buying the iPad from AT&T?

Dallas Pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I had a dig around for this last night. It looks like you can get the $100 statement credit by bringing your own tablet to AT&T, as long as you do it in store.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I had a dig around for this last night. It looks like you can get the $100 statement credit by bringing your own tablet to AT&T, as long as you do it in store.

Hum... that might result in a pretty good deal when combined with a discounted iPad price. I'll have to wait until the middle of November. That will be the 2 years from when I bought my iPad from AT&T.

Dallas Pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Hum... that might result in a pretty good deal when combined with a discounted iPad price. I'll have to wait until the middle of November. That will be the 2 years from when I bought my iPad from AT&T.

Perfect timing for Black Friday deals then! I'm excited now, especially after reading that AT&T are doubling the 10GB mobile share... I'm calling retentions as soon as I get off this flight.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Perfect timing for Black Friday deals then! I'm excited now, especially after reading that AT&T are doubling the 10GB mobile share... I'm calling retentions as soon as I get off this flight.

Out of curiosity, were you able to get ATT to double the 10GB plan for you?

When I try it, I'll be changing from the grandfathered unlimited data plan, so I hope that doesn't make it more difficult to get. I'm apprehensive to give up their "unlimited data", but this deal, if coupled with adding my iPad to the plan, should be worthwhile.

Dallas Pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012

When I try it, I'll be changing from the grandfathered unlimited data plan, so I hope that doesn't make it more difficult to get. I'm apprehensive to give up their "unlimited data", but this deal, if coupled with adding my iPad to the plan, should be worthwhile.

I was, with ease. I called 611, said 'cancel service' and the woman who answered sorted it immediately.

I've been with AT&T since the first iPhone, and the service was awful. Have to say I'm pretty happy with where things are at today.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I got 100 credit for buying a new iphone 6 for my mom and added that line to my family plan. The credit was applied to my bill rather than being discounted on the phone. I also used att next.

Must be a similar promo for adding an iPad.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I spoke to AT&T today, and you do get a $100 credit in 2-3 months if you have your own iPad and sign a 2 year service agreement. It's easiest to do in a store because you need a new SIM, and they can provide it on the spot. If you sign up over the phone, they will mail a new SIM card. The Apple SIM can't be used apparently.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Guys and gals I just set up my new LTE air 2 with my AT&T mobile share plan from the comfort of my own home AND GOT THE $100 DOLLAR OFFER! It pops up during setup. Just accept the terms of the deal (2 year contract). I did this using the included Apple SIM. Very cool.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Guys and gals I just set up my new LTE air 2 with my AT&T mobile share plan from the comfort of my own home AND GOT THE $100 DOLLAR OFFER! It pops up during setup. Just accept the terms of the deal (2 year contract). I did this using the included Apple SIM. Very cool.

This is the correct answer. You don't need to buy it from AT&T to get the credit. I bought my cellular iPad 4 from somewhere else and I was offered the $100 credit if I commited to 2 years during the setup screen. The $100 basically paid for 10 months of attaching it to my mobile share plan.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I guess I'll be searching for a good iPad deal then signing up for a 2 year contract. Discounts on both ends!

Keep in mind that unless you have an employee discount, there's a $40 activation charge for the 2-year agreement.

Do you mean the FAN discount? I asked to have that waived for my iPhone and will do the same for the iPad.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I had two older iPads on my mobile share plan. I took two new Air2 cellulars (bought direct from Apple) into my local AT&T store to get the tablet data plans transferred to the new devices, and had a surprisingly pleasant experience.

The rep put two new AT&T nano SIMs in the new iPads, gave me the 'virgin' Apple SIMs, and gave me the $100 bill credit on each tablet for signing the two year agreement. No activation fee or hidden charges.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

I surrendered my grandfathered unlimited plan at the end of September. I enrolled in the 15g shared plan and with the double promotion that makes it 30g. The switch shaved off $50-60 dollars a month and I can now tether.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Does the same thing apply for Verizon, if I buy my IPAD cellular at the apple store or best buy?

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Keep in mind that unless you have an employee discount, there's a $40 activation charge for the 2-year agreement.

When I activated mine it said there was no activation fee, that is only for devices bought from AT&T not BYOD devices.

Dallas Pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
The Best Buy 10% movers discount plus the AT&T $100 credit is looking pretty good to me right now. That 10% off will probably beat their Black Friday deals.

May use my Discover It too for an additional 5% cash back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.