Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014
I love mine. I have a case for using it to bookkeep on the baseball diamond with a strap for my neck, it is perfect for flying (though my Vision Pro will be taking over those duties) as my folio case props it perfectly for 2 person AirPod connection. At home it is on an articulating arm magnetic mount (thank you JoyFactory.com!). I swing it over above me to read books, or to stream media when my wife is watching something on the bedroom TV that I don’t care to watch.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
It’s been my primary personal computer since it was released and is my favorite Apple product. I want a touch first computing experience and nothing else comes close. I also love that nearly every app I want to use has an iPad version or can be ran as an iPhone app. Although I have a Magic Keyboard, 90% of the time I prefer using it with the Smart Keyboard Folio.

Excellent screen. Great speakers. Awesome battery life. And the upcoming revision will improve the screen, camera and accessories.

Apple’s best tech goes into the iPad Pro and the MacBook Pro first and regardless how great the MBPs are, I just don’t want a computer with a fan and without a touch screen.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The 12.9 iPad Pro's are a nightmare from a usability standpoint.

• It weighs like a brick (without the Magic Keyboard) so you can't put it in the palm of your hand and hold it one-handed and scribble with the pencil with the other hand. There's no table near you? Too bad.
  • Neither of the Magic Keyboard or the Smart Folio can make the tablet stable on your lap.
  • It's terrible för watching content because the aspect ratio is not optimised for watching films/tv. The image is compressed and you get huge aspect ratio boxes at top and bottom.
  • Safari on the iPad is terrible compared to Chrome on desktop. Websites are buggy, sometimes you touch buttons or links and they don't respond because it's not optimised for Safari.
  • You might think annotating with the pencil would be great on this big screen but think again. It's really fun to use the pencil and the animations are smooth and fun but that joy dissipates quickly when you need to browse the web. Oh no. Reality kicks in. You HAVE to have a laptop next to this device if you want to do anything else than using a pencil. Now you have two huge devices taking your workspace.
  • Forget browsing the web on this device, typing to LLM's like ChatGPT, constantly looking up words online or searching the web in general. Text input is a nightmare without the Magic Keyboard. You get quickly tired of typing on that big ass on-screen-keyboard. A lot of the time when you have the pencil in your hand and touch input fields, the on screen keyboard doesn't pop up. It expects you to scribble in the text field to input text. Wait it gets better. The OS doesn't turn this off until you attach the Pencil back to the side of the iPad.
I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me understand why people even buy this device. The only thing I can think of is professional drawing with the pencil and that's it. For watching content and browsing the web, a laptop is vastly more ergonomic. For annotating and taking notes, which is 1 of 2 things this device is mainly good at, you can get away with buying a much cheaper iPad.

I am flabbergasted. I'd like to know how people who use and like this device get around these huge shortcomings of such an expensive device.
I had one, used it for illustration & cad redlining work and thought it was great for that. But not long after started missing the portability and utility of my old Mini3, so I got another one of those (a 5) to be mobile with, and never picked up the 12.9 again. The big Pro sits on my desk in a stand acting as a TV 99% of the time, and an occasional reference display when it's worth screwing around to get a file on it. The Mini 5 is the true pro device, does everything, consistently and reliably, can be operable by feel when you can't be interrupted, does everything an iPhone can't + everything an iPad Pro can't. But then they came out with the 6 and screwed that up too, by chopping the home button out to save $2.65 x 500,000,000 units, so the new ones are a clumsy erratic mess.

Get a mini 5 and be happy.

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
The 12.9" is basically the size of a piece of legal (8.5" x 11") paper, so PDFs and such are immediately life-sized without manually scrolling or zooming the viewport. This simple characteristic is, for me, essentially a killer application amongst the iPad lineup. E-ink notebooks do run rings around it for size and weight, but they're so limited in every other way (and shockingly expensive) that the iPad Pro ends up clobbering them.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
If it ran MacOS, I would love it more than my Macs. The problem is iPadOS is like a big iPhone. With a Magic Keyboard and MacOS, the 12.9” iPad Pro would prove more valuable than Apple charges. Could be amazing, but instead it’s lame and this is due to Tim’s policy of not allowing products to cannibalize others. It used to be AAPL under Jobs was about creating perfect products and willing to eliminate a product with a better product. Like iPhone eliminated iPods. Let iPad Pros run MacOS and take out the MacBook Air if it can. Tim has a fear of reducing profits rather than a desire to make the best products.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
I’m very happy with my 12.9” iPad Pro and magic keyboard… it has practically reached my laptop and it’s my go to personal computer… I was musing the other day what features the new M3 iPad Pro would need to have that would make me want to upgrade and I’m struggling to come up with one other than the battery on my ipad pro is a little tired and can deplete pretty fast under certain use cases but that’s kinda it for how I use it it’s absolutely great, fast, stable and never throws up any issues…. other than it looking a bit tired, well the magic keyboard case at least it’s perfect… now I will admit that an OLED display without zone based backlights would be nice its not enough of a reason to swap… If the new iPad Pro 12” fitted into the old magic keyboard enclosure then that would go some way towards it being a viable upgrade option… but what are the chances of that… low to none I’d bet…

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015

• It weighs like a brick (without the Magic Keyboard) so you can't put it in the palm of your hand and hold it one-handed and scribble with the pencil with the other hand. There's no table near you? Too bad.
  • Neither of the Magic Keyboard or the Smart Folio can make the tablet stable on your lap.
  • It's terrible för watching content because the aspect ratio is not optimised for watching films/tv. The image is compressed and you get huge aspect ratio boxes at top and bottom.
  • Safari on the iPad is terrible compared to Chrome on desktop. Websites are buggy, sometimes you touch buttons or links and they don't respond because it's not optimised for Safari.
  • You might think annotating with the pencil would be great on this big screen but think again. It's really fun to use the pencil and the animations are smooth and fun but that joy dissipates quickly when you need to browse the web. Oh no. Reality kicks in. You HAVE to have a laptop next to this device if you want to do anything else than using a pencil. Now you have two huge devices taking your workspace.
  • Forget browsing the web on this device, typing to LLM's like ChatGPT, constantly looking up words online or searching the web in general. Text input is a nightmare without the Magic Keyboard. You get quickly tired of typing on that big ass on-screen-keyboard. A lot of the time when you have the pencil in your hand and touch input fields, the on screen keyboard doesn't pop up. It expects you to scribble in the text field to input text. Wait it gets better. The OS doesn't turn this off until you attach the Pencil back to the side of the iPad.
I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me understand why people even buy this device. The only thing I can think of is professional drawing with the pencil and that's it. For watching content and browsing the web, a laptop is vastly more ergonomic. For annotating and taking notes, which is 1 of 2 things this device is mainly good at, you can get away with buying a much cheaper iPad.

I am flabbergasted. I'd like to know how people who use and like this device get around these huge shortcomings of such an expensive device.
I mostly agree, but:
*Aspect ratio is great for documents and spreadsheets, and I actually enjoyed it for videos (nostalgic to an 80s kid).
*Safari is a zillion times better than desktop or Chrome except when dealing with Google Suite, and I think that's because Google apparently nerfed it, just as they did to the YouTube app on Apple TV.
*I used voice input a fair bit, and the floating iOS-sized swipe keyboard, but yeah, typing on the go wasn't the best.

I went back to the MBA after a year or so of the 12.9" iPad "Pro". I do miss the nice screen and speakers, and being able to hold it while presenting or on the train without a seat (though it is heavy). I also do not miss the ridiculously poor durability of the smart folio keyboard.

meggie_v

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
So many bad takes in this original post.

Huh.

I thought they were all perfectly valid takes but might not matter depending on one's personal usage or expectations.

Mostly the OP seems to be grading the iPad Pro on its ability to do some "Mac things the Mac way," and he's finding that it comes up short. Anyone grading a Mac on doing "iPad things the iPad way" would scratch their head about its design, too.

Personally, I've often thought that Apple tries to engineer and price its products in such a way that they avoid cannibalizing each other's sales. Apple would prefer to sell you both a Mac and an iPad of some kind if possible (along with an iPhone and a watch), not just one or the other. Too much / too broad feature parity between the devices would mean more buyers would just skip one or the other. (This is just a theory though, and it's one I don't personally evidence--however interesting the iPad's features may be, I've managed to skip owning one since 2012.)

If the iPad can replace the Mac (or vice-versa) for someone, that's great. I mean, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , right? Whatever floats your boat!

But I'd bet that, for the foreseeable future, the iPad and iPad OS are going to keep veering in their own iPad-y directions, not toward broad feature or use-case parity with the Mac. Apple's gonna keep trying their damnedest to sell ya both devices, not just one or the other. Meaning that, in 2028, if you try to grade an iPad pro on its ability to do "Mac things the Mac way," you are still going to hate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd and heretiq

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
But it is a beautiful device and I think that is the main reason people buy it although no one will admit it. You see if they really bought it just to get some work done or watch YouTube they could buy anything. iPad is like a jewelry and people buy those all the time for high price although having no functionality.

ruddyman

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
"I can't imagine why anyone would buy this device." Well I can help with that to some degree. As a musician and public speaker it's an amazing device, sometimes paired with a bluetooth pedal.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
The only point I can somewhat get behind is about the size. (Not the weight, though, because this thing is surprisingly light for how big it is.)

In fact, I just sold my 12.9” Pro because I prefer 11” since I use my iPads in my hands very often and I found the 12.9” too big for that.

This all sounds to me like something between “user error” for some of OP’s points, and “not the device for you” overall.

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
  • It weighs like a brick (without the Magic Keyboard) so you can't put it in the palm of your hand and hold it one-handed and scribble with the pencil with the other hand. There's no table near you? Too bad."

"
  • It weighs like a brick (without the Magic Keyboard) so you can't put it in the palm of your hand and hold it one-handed and scribble with the pencil with the other hand. There's no table near you? Too bad."
NOT TRUE. Remember when people use to take notes/do checklists with pen and paper while walking and holding a clipboard? Remember how you were supposed to hold the clipboard as if you were cradling it, the front of the elbow around the middle, whilethe lower border resting on your chests? Well, that is EXACLTY how you are supposed to take notes while holding the iPad with one hand.

"
  • Neither of the Magic Keyboard or the Smart Folio can make the tablet stable on your lap."
COMPLETELY TRUE. Yep, there are other cases/keyboard that provide alternate solutions for typing while in you lap but granted. it is no way as stable as typing in an actual laptop PC or Mac.

"
  • It's terrible for watching content because the aspect ratio is not optimised for watching films/tv. The image is compressed and you get huge aspect ratio boxes at top and bottom."
PARTIALLY TRUE. Yes you are right in the sense that there are other Tablets (e.g Galaxy S9 Ultra) that have a much more optimal aspect ratio for content consumption, but those are arguably even more cumbersome to use as tablets for other non-media consumption purposes. For example, the 12.9 MBP, due to its aspect ratio, when in landscape gives me more vertical space when web-browsing, document writing than a S9 Ultra. So its all a tradeoff.

"
  • Safari on the iPad is terrible compared to Chrome on desktop. Websites are buggy, sometimes you touch buttons or links and they don't respond because it's not optimised for Safari."
UHM... ARE YOU AWARE THAT YOU CAN PERFECTLY RUN CHROME IN AN 12.9 IPP???? NOT ONLY THAT, DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN ACTUALLY REQUEST PRETTY MUCH ANY WEBSITE TO RUN IN DESKTOP MODE IN BOTH THE CHROME AND SAFARI iPadOS APPS??? MAKING SAID WEBSITE TO RUN VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL AS IT WOULD ON A DESKTOP??? I'm sorry but what you are mentioning is absolutely a non-issue.

"
  • You might think annotating with the pencil would be great on this big screen but think again. It's really fun to use the pencil and the animations are smooth and fun but that joy dissipates quickly when you need to browse the web. Oh no. Reality kicks in. You HAVE to have a laptop next to this device if you want to do anything else than using a pencil. Now you have two huge devices taking your workspace."
IT DEPENDS. I find browsing news sites, checking emails, youtube, reading blogs, etc much more comfortable on my 12.9 iPP than on my phone or my 13 inch MBP. I guess it depends on what do you mean by "browse the web" .. for my own understanding of what "browse the web" is, the iPP 12.9 works great.

"
  • Forget browsing the web on this device, typing to LLM's like ChatGPT, constantly looking up words online or searching the web in general. Text input is a nightmare without the Magic Keyboard. You get quickly tired of typing on that big ass on-screen-keyboard. A lot of the time when you have the pencil in your hand and touch input fields, the on screen keyboard doesn't pop up. It expects you to scribble in the text field to input text. Wait it gets better. The OS doesn't turn this off until you attach the Pencil back to the side of the iPad."
IDEM ON WHAT I WROTE ON YOUR PREVIOUS POINT + IT DEPENDS ON WHAT CASE YOU ARE USING WITH YOUR IPP 12.9. So for example, I use my 12.9 IPP with a Logitech Combo Touch, with an adhesive Apple pencil on the back for storing the Apple pencil. This setup is flexible enough for everything I need:

-If I am near a table and need to type/write emails/docs for long then I use it with the Combo Touch Keyboard.

- If I need to read research papers, quickly check email (or write short ones) at the sofa or during my commute, watch youtube/Netflix on the sofa during my commute, etc, then the Combo Touch keyboard becomes a base for its back stand and it sits nicely, with the right angle in my lap.

- If I need to take notes with the Apple Pencil, I take off the keyboard portion of the Combo Touch and then cradle the iPad as I explained above.

Look, you might think that me bashing all your criticisms might come from the point of view of an Apple fanboi. I can assure you I am not. I do have many criticisms towards how Apple has conceived the iPP 12.9 but none of those are related with your gripes. They have more to do with the exorbitant price Apple is taking for them, their bad battery life and how they are purposely gimping it through a subpar OS instead of letting it flourish as a true laptop alternative.

For you to have an idea, the only reason why I own a 12.9 is because I had some leftover money on my research grant that I WAS OBLIGATED to spend in hardware because that is how it was budgeted on the research proposal grant. If I didn't use that money then they would discount it from my next research grant (yes it's weird, don't get me started on that). I couldn't use that money on a MBP because I has already used some money from it on a MBP, and they would never allow me to buy two of the same type of device. So it happens that I calculated that the base M2 iPP 12.9 + Logitech Combo Touch + Apple Pencil was almost exactly the amount of leftover research money I had to spend. So I went ahead and ordered by justifying it as " a device for taking field notes during field research", it went through and I got it. I initially didn't care much for it..... in fact I remember wishing I could use that money on something more useful, like some software apps I needed or attendance to an international conference, but alas, that is not how that money was budgeted so I couldn't. So I remember receiving it and being resentful of how their stupid system basically forced me to buy something that I THOUGHT BACK THEN I didn't really need.

But OMG was I wrong. Using it the way described above filled a niche in my work-life that was previously being filled by my iPhone.... but doing these on the 12.9 IPP is so, but oh my god so much better and comfortable than doing it omy phone.

So, look, its completely fine for you to hate the device for your own reasons. I just tried to explain why your reasons don't apply to my usage case scenario, they actually contradict it. But the most important part is that my opinion comes from a place of initial doubt of the whole idea of a 12.9 tablet... but after giving it a chance I realized it does make a lot of sense in certain usage case scenarios....

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When Apple first announced the 2018 iPad Pro, I initially purchased the 12.9" iPad Pro, together with the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. I loved the size. It was perfect for reading pdfs in notability in portrait mode (it's like holding a A4-sized clipboard), and documents still remained of decent size when open in split-screen mode. I would end up returning it for the 11" model because its size made it unwieldy for me to hold while walking around the room (which is generally how I teach in my classroom), but if I weren't a teacher with this specific requirement, I would likely have kept it.

The screen is just gorgeous, text on it is clear and crisp, and I don't get how it can be considered too big to use alongside a laptop but a 24" external monitor is "too small". During the pandemic, countless hours were spent playing Grimvalor and World of Demons with a wireless controller and I can only imagine how much better the games would have looked on a larger display.

I still love the idea of one, and it's a shame I couldn't fit it into my workflow or justify maintaining 2 separate iPads. 😕

Reactions: heretiq

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

Question: Do you own a 12.9” iPad Pro? I‘m asking because I’ve owned every 12.9” iPad pro up to and including the 12.9” M1 iPad Pro and despite it being slightly thicker and heavier than its predecessor, my experience using the device daily is the opposite of everything you’ve stated:
  • I use it one handed 80-90% of the time with zero issues — the remaining time is holding it in two hands watching movies from the Apple TV app and YouTube videos on the gorgeous mini-LED display.
  • I have no need for the Magic Keyboard (gave mine away because it was too bulky for me) because the soft keyboard is perfect for me — even for heavy typing.
  • I use Safari almost exclusively and have virtually zero problems surfing websites — the occasional issues I encounter are related to surfing with a VPN with ad blocker while also using iCloud Private Relay. When this happens I turn off Private Relay for the session and all is well.
  • The Pencil is flawless for what it was made for — drawing and handwriting. Why in the world would someone use a pencil for browsing the web and then complain about it? 80-90% of my daily use (3-4 hours each day) is without the pencil. The only time I use my Mac is when I need my 32” external display, or for apps not available on the iPad (Xcode, simulation packages, local LLMs, etc.)
  • I do more web browsing on my iPad than I do on my Mac — including working with remote LLMs with zero issues — and find web browsing on the iPad Pro superior to browsing on my Mac because I can just lean back and get into the flow of my web sessions.
Net-net: I use the iPad daily and love it. I think it’s because I’m using it the way Apple intended it to be used — as a tablet vs using it like a laptop or Samsung Note with stylus and insisting that it work the way I want it to.

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me understand why people even buy this device. The only thing I can think of is professional drawing with the pencil and that's it.

"The only thing I can think of is... the completely valid reason why millions of people buy it."

Also - the form factor is great for productivity, office work, comics and magazines, multitasking, sidecar, etc.

It's not the iPad, it's you :)

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Shapr3D. It's not cheap, but it's fantastic and performs better on iPad and Mac than anything like Fusion 360 ever has!
Not to get completely OT here, but our models are pretty involved and tied in with content center drawings, data sets & excel tables in multiple files all over the place. Though I can't imagine how Shapr on an iPad could ever allow for such functionality, have you been able to import filetypes from other programs and work with them natively?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I had the first gen. iPad Pro in this size. Circa 2015, when it still had a home button.

Even that one, I found enjoyable. I can't imagine how much better it is now without the bezels/home button.

Sadly, I can't really justify an iPad.

Reactions: heretiq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.