Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Bert Monroy a "digital photo-realist artist" has created a massive Illustrator/Photoshop panorama of a Chicago "L" stop:

http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/fineart_damen.htm

(This link takes awhile to load in for some reason)

"This is my latest and most ambitious digital painting of a Chicago scene unveiled at Photoshop World in Miami on March 22, 2006.
It is a panorama of the Damen Station on the Blue Line of the Chicago Transit Authority.

Adobe Illustrator was used for generating the majority of the basic shapes as well as all the buildings in the Chicago skyline.
The rest was created in Photoshop.

• The image size is 40 inches by 120 inches.
• The flattened file weighs in at 1.7 Gigabytes.
• It took eleven months (close to 2,000 hours) to create.
• The painting is comprised of close to fifty individual Photoshop files.
• Taking a cumulative total of all the files, the overall image contains over 15,000 layers.
• Over 500 alpha channels were used for various effects.
• Over 250,000 paths make up the multitude of shapes throughout the scene."

127985613_842e31117e_o.jpg

127985614_64e18dee63.jpg

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
That it really cool.

Kinda how i envision the Matrix looking... real, but not real at the same time.

I would like to see that printed really large somewhere.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I used to live a couple of blocks away from this "L" stop. The accuracy is fantastic. I wish I had enough time on my hands to take a crack at creating something like this. Ouch 11 months - 2,000 hours, better get to work. I hope he maxed out the RAM in his PowerMac. just saving that sucker would take awhile.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
And I thought my files were big. I have to break apart files to keep from maxing out Photoshop, but that one is a monster!

I would love to see the making of this.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
So if I am correct, this is not a picture taken from a camera, but rather something he created with illustrator and photoshop?

If so that is downright amazing. It took me a good 5 mins of look at the picture after reading the description to even comprehend it wasnt real.

iamhammill

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
York, PA
Koodauw said:
So if I am correct, this is not a picture taken from a camera, but rather something he created with illustrator and photoshop?

If so that is downright amazing. It took me a good 5 mins of look at the picture after reading the description to even comprehend it wasnt real.

Me too. I'm still not sure exactly what it is.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Dang, that's freakin' amazing. Even after I found out it wasn't a photo it still looked like a photo! I can't imagine having that much patience, though.
That's the Blue Line Damen stop, isn't it? I used to live near the Brown Line Damen stop.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Yep - that's the Damen Blue Line stop in Wicker Park. And yep, that's freekin' amazing.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Man. I tell you that first one is basically photo-realistic. The second one looks 'off,' but it's hard to say why. Still damn near close, but not quite.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
baby duck monge said:
Man. I tell you that first one is basically photo-realistic. The second one looks 'off,' but it's hard to say why. Still damn near close, but not quite.

It's the light bulbs on the train that give it away for me. Otherwise it looks more like a 3D rendered scene than an Illustrator/Photoshop combo. As xPismo said it's all very Matrix-y looking. I thought I was pretty Photoshop savvy buy this guy has, as the kids say, "mad skillz." I would love to see this in person.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
MacRumorUser said:
All 2000 hours of it? :eek:

A time-lapse video using Boinx's iStopMotion would have been very cool to see. Heck, even a screenshot work-in-progress video would be cool.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
This is truly amazing - real talent. I would say the main thing that gives it away as not being a photograph - besides the ridiculous resolution - is that there's no haze in the distance. The colour's just a bit too even and saturated.

I wonder if the guy had to take hundreds of photos to get all the details so accurate. Doing a pan and zoom on that thing would be awesome.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
simply amazing...

everything looks real... except the light bulb lenses. i dont think i've ever seen a light bulb that brilliant looking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.