Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I guess the tables have turned. During my visit to the US these past 20 days I purchased several Apple products; one of which is the MacBook Pro 2017 13 inch for my brother.

For more than 10 years, my brother has been carrying around a Dell Inspiron 1525. A great laptop when he just got it, but it has shown its age in many areas; a lid that literally needs life support to stay up, slow as a slug with Windows 10 1607 (originally came with Windows XP Home, upgraded to Vista Business, 7 Professional and eventually Windows 10 Pro).

With my current job, I have been blessed to be able to earn enough to afford things I like for my family. So, I promised him the first thing I would buy him is a new Mac when I visited the states.

I went for the base model with touch bar. Before my purchase, I was gonna find Best Buy and get the Early 2015, which I currently use. But factors such as it being a 3 year old product, my brothers needs and the keyboard made the final decision.

My hotel was relatively close to the Apple Store, so I stopped by the store a couple nights and played with it a bit, spending some time in pages really getting a good feel of it. I actually was pleasantly surprised. The tactile feedback has been greatly improved over the 2016 model, which I tested and was very concerned about. In fact, I have been quite vocal about it here on the forums; even recommending potential buyers wait until the 2018 models.

This was of course based on an assumption. But I must say, you do get a satisfactory feedback. Ultimately, the final test is left in the hands of my brother. He was of course over the moon when he actually got it. He never thought he would ever be able to afford or own one with all his responsibilities, paying off for a house, son about to go to college and other living expenses. Its a wonderful treat I was happy to give him.

So far he is impressed and is eager to learn macOS and the differences from Windows. He is particularly curious and excited about the Touchbar.

I must admit, I have a bit of an envy. The space gray and thin design is so sleek and cool. I won't be back in the US until next year, but I will definitely be upgrading then; for now, I will have to settle for my iPad Pro 12.9. Just to make sure things went smoothly, I picked up a USB C to A dongle - you never know.

bykaraanne

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2018
I went to test the keyboards out yesterday, too, and I feel they’re just fine! My only worry is how easily they break. But I have no issue with how it feels when I type.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I will let him know not to avoid eating food while using it, wash his hands and pick up a can of compressed air.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
The keyboard is great for what it is. I'd say the biggest issue with them is the reliability. I personally haven't come across too many issues (i lucked out by cleaning them and getting the issue resolved on my own) but there are have been too many stories of others having to repair them through Apple.

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I retried my colleague's new Macbook Pro yesterday. Yes, the keyboard is still terrible. And that's not the only reason I am still holding on my old MacBook Air, waiting for a miracle to happen. Will hell freeze and Apple bring back the old keyboard on a new 32GB RAM i7 quad core 13" MacBook Pro with a matte screen and physical function Fn keys ? Oh well ...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I retried my colleague's new Macbook Pro yesterday. Yes, the keyboard is still terrible. And that's not the only reason I am still holding on my old MacBook Air, waiting for a miracle to happen. Will hell freeze and Apple bring back the old keyboard on a new 32GB RAM i7 quad core 13" MacBook Pro with a matte screen and physical function Fn keys ? Oh well ...

Mostlikely the'll double down on the current and add more fixes. Then try to keep the other models issues under the table as much as possble with a "What issues?" stance.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008

For me its the exact opposite. I really like the keyboard on my 2017 MacBook Pro. Its very difficult for me now to use the old style keyboard on my wife's 2015 MacBook.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I just ordered a new MacBook Pro today. I've heard about a keyboard problem, but nothing specific. Just what is wrong with the keyboard?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.