Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Warning: Bold and Brave Rumor, Also Complete Wish, So Don't Flame Me

That aside....

"March 2003
Apple today announced the new 7G and 8G processor for all products in the Apple line-up. The new processors, built by IBM, run up to 40% faster at the same clock speed than the last generation of G4 processors.

The new 7G processor will work its way into the iMac, iBook, and PowerBook product lines. The 7G processor runs at speeds up to 1.2GHz and sports 512K L2 cache running at full processor speed. The chips also supports a 200MHz system bus and 400MHz DDR memory.

The 8G processor, to be used in Apple's PowerMac, is a 64-bit processor that eats G4 processors for lunch. With HyperTransport, the new 8G processor offers twice the memory bandwidth as the 7G and, along with it's 64-bit computing, crunches data up to 20% faster than the 7G processor, and up to 40% faster than the G4 processor at the same clock speed. With a massize 1MB L2 cache, the 8G processor runs circles around the G4 in games and professional applications, such as video and audio work.
"

---------------------------

The above "press release" is an example of how Apple could switch to IBM for its processor needs. The 7G is basically a 750FX with an Altivec-like co-processor, and the 8G is the rumored lite-Power4 processor that we'd all like to see. Besides, G5 might sound superflous. AMD is changing the Athlon to the Opteron, as they clear the dust off of their products, and it might be wise for Apple to do the same.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by rice_web
AMD is changing the Athlon to the Opteron, as they clear the dust off of their products, and it might be wise for Apple to do the same.

Ummm...according to this article, the Opteron is the server version of the Clawhammer.

It may be a good idea to change to 7G and 8G or whatever, but people will wonder what happened to the 5G and 6G. It's a good idea though. Maybe they should abandon numbers altogether (except fot ghz) and call them something like SupercalifragilisticexpealidociousPPC or something, hell I don't know, I've been posting too much in the 'are u
drinking+smiley.gif
drolling+smiley.gif
' thread.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
You see, the 7G would represent the 7xx product line of IBMs, and the 8G would represent IBMs 8xx series of the PowerPC processor, thus warranting the use of 7 and 8, as opposed to 5 and 6.

Besides, Apple could always claim that they've switched to radically different computer parts, and it might spur sales.

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
Very clever naming scheme. This would breathe some new life into the product line and if they updated all of their products simoultaneously, it would cause a wave of sales that would skyrocket their stock.

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Re: The 7G and the 8G Processors

with an Altivec-like co-processor

would it be possible for apple to take ibm's "power4-lite" and (assuming it is NOT compatible with altivec) use a second processor made by motorola for completing all altivec tasks? that way we could finally have a powerhouse of a processor and moto would still be in the picture thx to their altivec patents...everyones happy except fr the consumer who pays for moto's lack of motvation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.