Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Man, y'all are not holding this thread together since covid-19 bit into air travel. Well no excuse now, airplanes are flying again for more than just military transport, and so they are also showing up in the news. This is a fun piece about a "time capsule" note left in a Delta plane being parked in March of 2020 for long term storage as the pandemic began to bite into regular passenger travel. The note was finally found and and read the other day when the plane was being readied for use again after such a long time.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I lived in the Finger Lakes in NY, and at the end of our lake in Hammondsport was the Curtiss Museum. The volunteers that worked there had a complete shop where they constructed a replica of Glenn Curtiss first flying boat, The America.
They used the original plans and the original 1918 engines! Here she is on her maiden flight:
seaplane09.jpg

Couple of friends of our family were the pilots.
P9133435.JPG

This was the year before, on their first try to get her off the water, but they didn't get the rebuilt engines in time for this try.
P9133422.JPG

V-8 Engines were built by Glenn Curtiss. Prior to building this plane, Glenn Curtiss built a V-8 motorcycle and in 1907 he rode it to land speed record of 136.04 mph, which held for many years.
To learn more about Glenn Curtiss and for more great pictures of his planes visit: https://glennhcurtissmuseum.org

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
I lived in the Finger Lakes in NY, and at the end of our lake in Hammondsport was the Curtiss Museum. The volunteers that worked there had a complete shop where they constructed a replica of Glenn Curtiss first flying boat, The America.
They used the original plans and the original 1918 engines! Here she is on her maiden flight: View attachment 1808572
View attachment 1808573
This was the year before, on their first try to get her off the water, but they didn't get the rebuilt engines in time for this try. View attachment 1808574
V-8 Engines were built by Glenn Curtiss. Prior to building this plane, Glenn Curtiss built a V-8 motorcycle and in 1907 he rode it to land speed record of 136.04 mph, which held for many years.
To learn more about Glenn Curtiss and for more great pictures of his planes visit: https://glennhcurtissmuseum.org
What a marvellous project, and a beautiful aircraft!

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
They used the original plans and the original 1918 engines! Here she is on her maiden flight: View attachment 1808572
View attachment 1808573
This was the year before, on their first try to get her off the water, but they didn't get the rebuilt engines in time for this try. View attachment 1808574

Nice post. The Curtiss Museum is a wonderful stop. I've been there many times. They currently have a very unique display exhibit running through the end of the year. "Art at War." It is a collection of vintage Squadron Insignias painted on fabric from the early days of combat aviation. Example are from around the world. Worth the trip if your close enough, IMO.

Reactions: Allyance

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Man, y'all are not holding this thread together since covid-19 bit into air travel. Well no excuse now, airplanes are flying again for more than just military transport, and so they are also showing up in the news. This is a fun piece about a "time capsule" note left in a Delta plane being parked in March of 2020 for long term storage as the pandemic began to bite into regular passenger travel. The note was finally found and and read the other day when the plane was being readied for use again after such a long time.

Not much going on in terms of long haul large wide body orders. In Delta news they did just purchase 29 used 739's and leased 7 used 359's returned to lessors bt LATAM. These will replace retiring 772's one for one in Delta's fleet.

The also added an additional 25 321NEO's to their previous order of 100 back in April.

I don't see any growth in wide body sales for another year minimum. The 10 year outlook was actually revised this year to 12% lower than the 10 year back in 2019.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It does not have to be all about crashes, yet…
Not the first time a 737 noses over and flies straight into the ground. That was before the Super-Max fiasco, when on several occasions they experienced rudder hard overs.

• Wow
Reactions: LizKat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I think China has 800 of those planes and they grounded all 800 of them. I think if this happens in America they would all still be flying .:oops: Horrific freak crash. Just about everything and everyone disintegrated upon impact:oops: crashing into the ground from 30,000 feet at 600-700 Mph is a horrible way to go:oops:

• Sad
Reactions: LizKat

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Watched this a couple of weekends ago. Incredible amount of noise. If you watch the video, be sure to turn the sound up.

Reactions: decafjava

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Seems like passengers at least in the States are outgrowing airlines economy seats…

Airlines’ Seat Pitch Gets Shorter And Passengers Reach Their Limits​

The FAA Wants To Know How Small YOU Think Plane Seats Should Be​

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Maybe off topic, who’s playing FS2020? What are your impressions?

It's impressive, but the requirement of a discreet graphics card makes it unplayable for alot of people who don't have gaming rigs. They need to have a low enough graphics mode to allow for a wider range of hardware.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Haha, yes, I remember that - I did a bit of work with DID while they were developing it. I seem to recall it was problematic, verging on disastrous. Seems like ancient history now, yet the real Typhoon still seems brand new.

It was actually a fun sim. It wasn't as deep as Falcon 3.0, but it had it's charms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.