Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeaturedMp3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Hey everyone,

Has anyone seen their Pam rest on their MacBook turn flipping yellow? .. its ridiculous this happened to my last MacBook and decided that I would clean my hands before use and clean it every time after use. What do you know, four weeks of busy use it becomes yellow, just below the keyboard, bottom of the mouse tracker.. well erm everywhere really.

I can't take this anymore it really does make your mac feel p***

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
First question is is this really a brand new macbook and not a used one or a refurb? Seems discoloration issues have long been sorted out, and I can attest to that having owned a WhiteBook since May '07. While I do use a silicone keyboard cover, the rest goes naked, and aside from a bit of shine on the the trackpad, there's definitely no yellowing.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
First question is is this really a brand new macbook and not a used one or a refurb? Seems discoloration issues have long been sorted out, and I can attest to that having owned a WhiteBook since May '07. While I do use a silicone keyboard cover, the rest goes naked, and aside from a bit of shine on the the trackpad, there's definitely no yellowing.

i've recently seen new macbooks, though not with the penryns, with the yellowing. it's the main reason why i got a black one.

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
i've recently seen new macbooks, though not with the penryns, with the yellowing. it's the main reason why i got a black one.

Fair enough, but I have not seen this of late--not even at the handful of Apple Stores and Best Buys I frequent where their display models get seriously abused. So, without proof, I guess I'll just have to take you on your word. Anyway, problem solving-wise, sweat must definitely be a factor here, and no matter how much hand-washing one does, and I don't care how dry one's hands are, you're still going to eventually wear away at the palm rest area, trackpad, and keyboard. So my suggestion to the OP is to either get one or more of the thousands of products out there that protect against this sort of wear, or, assuming it really is a defect, call Apple and demand a fix.

DarrenG

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
England
Had this on my first MacBook. Case was replaced under warranty as this was a known issue and the replacement has survived 9 mths now with no further issues which certainly suggests to me that they fixed the issue with plastics.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
I'd suggest you call Apple or take to your local store. They'll probably have a new casing installed for you. That said, it is possible that if this is a newer model and still has the problem, your skin may just be extra protective of your body.

You should probably install one of those sets with the film after it's fixed.. Marware and others make them. Here's one that looks great: http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-35/Apple-MacBook-13.3"-Total/Detail

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
Hey everyone,

Has anyone seen their Pam rest on their MacBook turn flipping yellow? .. its ridiculous this happened to my last MacBook and decided that I would clean my hands before use and clean it every time after use. What do you know, four weeks of busy use it becomes yellow, just below the keyboard, bottom of the mouse tracker.. well erm everywhere really.

to look on the bright side at least your palm rest hasn't cracked yet

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hey everyone,

Be careful of who's using you computer. They might be pissing on on your computer :D

Did you try to scrub it?

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Go to the super market and get a box of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It comes in a box of two sponges. It makes your white MB look new. Don't ask me how it works, but it works. ALL the yellow you see will be 100% gone - literally. Plus, you can reuse the sponges over and over again. I used to clean my MB with alcohol wipes, but seriously those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges WORK! My MB looks pure white after each cleaning.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Go to the super market and get a box of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It comes in a box of two sponges. It makes your white MB look new. Don't ask me how it works, but it works. ALL the yellow you see will be 100% gone - literally. Plus, you can reuse the sponges over and over again. I used to clean my MB with alcohol wipes, but seriously those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges WORK! My MB looks pure white after each cleaning.

In regards to that, it contains chemicals which will damage the plastic material, but i have used it and it workds well, a couple of scrubs gets everything out, i say go for it!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
In regards to that, it contains chemicals which will damage the plastic material, but i have used it and it workds well, a couple of scrubs gets everything out, i say go for it!

Think it'd work on the MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.