Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
The performa 630CD

6300a.jpg

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Funny I was just thinking about a thread like this. I'm pretty sure there is a similar one. Although I think it was best looking Mac.

The Quadra 840AV has to be the one I wished for the most. Followed closely by the Power Macintosh 9600. Pretty much this setup here but with the Plaintalk microphone and a giant stack of hard drives.

img.jpg

By the way. I'd still love to own this setup. Their current used prices are too absurd to consider.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
That was my first Mac. :)

I wanted one soo bad but couldn't afford it at the time. About 2 months ago I was in Manhattan when I was walking on a block that looked familiar to me. The place where I first saw/touched the performa back then I still remember leaving the store empty handed :( I'm not sure what the place is now.
371963B3-AB0E-43EE-A11F-C7457B0F65C7_1_201_a.png

Reactions: MacHead84 and jpn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The original MBA, the one that was extracted from a manilla envelope by the late Mr Jobs; that day, - at the time I had a 15" MBP - I promised myself I would have one, the minute - or day - funds permitted.

And that day arrived two years later; since then, I have never had a computer that wasn't a MBA.

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
The original MBA, the one that was extracted from a manilla envelope by the late Mr Jobs; that day, - at the time I had a 15" MBP - I promised myself I would have one, the minute - or day - funds permitted.

And that day arrived two years later; since then, I have never had a computer that wasn't a MBA.

It was terrible, the battery in mine bulged, the performance was poor and the display hinges disintegrated in front of my eyes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It was terrible, the battery in mine bulged, the performance was poor and the display hinges disintegrated in front of my eyes.

Commiserations.

My reply was in response to the thread title, and the original MBA - with the exception of the original iPod - was the only Apple product I absolutely longed for when it first appeared, with a whimpered "I want" escaping my compressed lips.

However, I will say that I have read that the first general MBA did indeed have some early teething problems, including battery issues.

But those issues were addressed by the time I bought my first MBA in September 2010.

And I will say furthermore that all of my MBAs (and, no, I am not an "early adopter" of anything - let others sort out inevitable glitches) - and my first was the so-called Rev-C - never gave me a minute's trouble; all of them have been fast, reliable, portable - this mattes to me as I travel a lot - and powerful computers.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat and jdechko

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I bought a VX, not long after buying it realised that I really, really, really wanted a Centris or a Quadra...

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I bought a VX, not long after buying it realised that I really, really, really wanted a Centris or a Quadra...
Do you mean IIvx? That was my first Mac. I wanted a Centris or Quadra too. I had no more money. The IIvx was a steal at $2,400 with a 14 inch VGA Magnavox display, CD ROM, Apple Extended Keyboard and Mouse. The store screwed up and gave me a whopping 5MB RAM instead of the 4MB in the specs.:p

It wasn't long until I did a Centris 650 motherboard swap. I've still got my IIvx badge which was popped out and replaced with a Centris 650 badge.

Reactions: scubachap

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
The PowerBook G5...oh wait. I mean when i was younger growing up I had an LC but always wanted that Performa :cool: But hey i did have the StyleWriter printer and CD-ROM drive. Complete with caddy! #baller

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Do you mean IIvx? That was my first Mac. I wanted a Centris or Quadra too. I had no more money. The IIvx was a steal at $2,400 with a 14 inch VGA Magnavox display, CD ROM, Apple Extended Keyboard and Mouse. The store screwed up and gave me a whopping 5MB RAM instead of the 4MB in the specs.:p

It wasn't long until I did a Centris 650 motherboard swap. I've still got my IIvx badge which was popped out and replaced with a Centris 650 badge.
Hi, yes, the IIvx. I think mine dropped in price a lot not long after I bought it. Then after a few months it was replaced with the better Centris(?) I'd only bought Macs with other people's money for work before then but it taught me to be cautious about buying just out Apple products, particularly when using my own money! ;) (If only we'd had MacRumors back then). I think there was even an expression in the magazines at the time about customers who's been "VX'ed"...

Odysee

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
s-l1600.jpg

In high school, my best friends Dad has one of these - and I thought it was the most magical thing in the entire world.... LOL.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
iPod 2nd Generation
PowerBook G4 15"
iMac G4
11" MacBook Air

All previously owned, except the iPod, which I still own though it no longer works

GregBrock

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
I wanted to buy a 2019 MacBook Pro (16-inch) but I didn't have enough budget so I bought 2019 MacBook Pro (13-inch)

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I wanted a G4 Cube - part of me still has hopes that the Mini will grow into a modern version of the cube (i.e.: the Cube was marketed as part of the PowerMac line, not an entry-level/consumer item)

Edit: I don't realistically think it will, but this thread is about wishes right?

Last edited:
Reactions: millerj123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.